Job frustration

Discussion in 'Trumpet Repair and Modification' started by Clarkvinmazz, Dec 6, 2017.

1. Dennis78

Dennis78 Fortissimo User

Feb 1, 2015
    Cincinnati
    You mean upfront cost. Thousands of dollars of tools! Thousands of hours of work

2. simso

simso Pianissimo User

Jul 1, 2009
    Australia, Perth
    Apologies for any confusion, if someone is keen, getting some basic hand tools and dent tools can get you started.

Repair some ebay specials, flip them and use profits to buy more tools, the more you repair the more you learn, the better you get.

Yes, a full blown repair shop is not a cheap undertaking, I spend on average 5-6k a year on tools, the tooling in my shop exceeds a few hundred thousand dollars. The building was half a mill.

Steve

3. Clarkvinmazz

Clarkvinmazz Forte User

May 11, 2013
    Oberlin, Ohio
    Yes I have my own tools, and yes I do that pretty regularly.. in fact I have one for sale right now! And it’s not that I don’t have work at the place I am now, and I would appreciate a pass on the “just work harder” portion. I live in a lower income area and we deal almost exclusively with school contracts and rentals. This is fantastic and I’m great ful that I’m here, and it’s taught me most of the basic repair processes I need. I’m looking for something more trumpet specific because that’s where I want to go, not because I can’t do this. However I actually just got a message yesterday from someone who is very much interested- I can’t say who yet because it’s not for sure but I’ll be very happy if they take me on. Just my luck that it happens the day I make this post! Lol

Dennis78 likes this.
  4. Dennis78

Dennis78 Fortissimo User

Feb 1, 2015
    Cincinnati
    Good luck. Keep at it bro. Sounds like you’re on the way

5. LaTrompeta

LaTrompeta Forte User

May 3, 2015
    Colorado Springs
    Well, cool. Hopefully you find a job doing that. Otherwise, just keep building experience, as I'm sure it will not hurt. Weren't you getting a master's degree in music?