joe newman

Discussion in 'Wise Talk!' started by diz the wiz, Jul 1, 2005.

1. diz the wiz

diz the wiz New Friend

Nov 15, 2003
    Vaudreuil,Quebec,Canada
    hello Wilmer,i would like to know if you have played with joe newman,he is one of my favorite trumpet player,and i think that peoples doesn't talk about him anymore,he was always a exciting player,i love the way he built tension in his solo's,he had roy eldridge's fire in his playing,do you have story about him?(like when a new trumpet player came to the count basie's trumpet section,and said that joe was not like what people say's about him,he was very generous with the solo's,giving the trumpeter a lot of solo's space,until the trumpeter found out that the solo's he was given,where not played for 10 years,and where not in the book anymore)

2. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    I got to know Joe after I move to New York City. He was one of the Jim and Andy's regulars.
    Jim and Andy's was a bar on 55th st. At any time you could find a musical "Who's Who" at the bar. I met Harry Glantz there. Papa Jo Jones was a regular. On any given day you might find Ernie, Bernie, Danny Stiles and Bill Watrous having a break between sessions. Al Cohn and Zoot Sims were also there.
    I met Carmine Caruso and Jerry Callet there many evenings.
    In the days before cellphones and beepers, Jim's was a hub of information. Radio Registry, THE answering service of the top guys in town, had a direct line to the bar. Many a night Registry called to get a player at the last minute. It was always full of the guys.

Joe Newman was an upper west-side neighbor. I lived at 100th and West End Avenue in those days. Joe lived a little further downtown. I never did get a chance to work with Joe.
    Wilmer