John Duda's NEW Tulsa Calicchios

Discussion in 'Horns' started by rhdroc, Nov 17, 2003.

1. rhdroc

rhdroc Pianissimo User

Nov 17, 2003
    Central Pennsylvania
    Those of you who have a Tulsa Calicchio -- what do you think of it? If you've ever played a Hollywood Calicchio - how do the two compare??

Thanks---<Rick

2. marathoner

marathoner New Friend

Nov 10, 2003
    New Tulsa Calicchio's Superior

In a totally unscientific laboratory (the new building that houses Calicchio in Tulsa) I have listened to monster play tester Dave Johnson scream on the new Calicchio trumpet built by John Duda. Dave could make a fire hose light up (usuable double high "C", "no problem") and is quite qualified to evaluate what a good horn is and is not. The new Tulsa Calicchio's sound "zippier" (now there's a word for you), slot better, and have better intonation than the Hollywood Calicchio's that they still had in stock from the original move. I have been around John Duda for years and am thoroughly impressed with his knowledge, craftsmanship, and zeal for building great trumpets. To me, the new Tulsa Calicchio wins hands down!!!!!!!

3. Larry Gianni

Larry Gianni Piano User

Nov 11, 2003
    Los Angeles
    I'll tell you one thing -

John Duda has a passion for building the finest trumpets he can and he doesn't let them out of the shop until he's satified they are going to represent Calicchio in the very best light possible and the way he thinks it should.

John's attitude about "building the best " sometimes turns into a detrement to his own " pocketbook " in a big way, but he says it worth it to him. He always thinks " long term " with his client base.

That kind of dedication and devotion is very hard to come by in this market.

Larry

PS - your right , Dave Johnson is a monster player and really tells it like it is. If Dave lets it leave the shop , you know it's a good one.

Larry

4. vic

vic New Friend

Nov 19, 2003
    Arkansas
    Tulsa factory visit

I don't live too far from Tulsa, and I would like to see the factory there. I would especially enjoy letting my teenage son [also a trumpeter] see the Calicchio facillty.
    Larry, Is it possible to have a tour or just to visit the factory? It sounds like a relatively small-scale operation from what some of you have described.
    TIA.

5. Larry Gianni

Larry Gianni Piano User

Nov 11, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Hi Vic,

I think John and Dave would be really happy to show you around the place. Both these guys are very personably and could talk trumpet for hours and really love to meet the public.

It is small scale facility.

Check out the website www.calicchio.com and it shows the place with John , Dave Johnson and Bill Gable. That's the whole staff.

They did, at one time, have my picture up on their site , playing my gold plated Calicchio while working one day at Capitol Records.
    They said " My Mug " was hurting business and making small children cry so they " dumped " it very unceremouniously one day.

Bounce one check and you can really tell who your real friends are.

Larry

6. rhdroc

rhdroc Pianissimo User

Nov 17, 2003
    Central Pennsylvania
    Calicchio 1sZ/3RL

I have a Calicchio big bore 1sZ/3RL trumpet. On a good day in the proper high volume rock-band settling, I've been able to actually rise above the amplified instruments WITHOUT a microphone on my 1sZ/3RL -- all this amazing volume and still playing in-tune!! On the other hand, I can play ppp just as easily. These Tulsa Calicchios are fantistic horns!! I can only imagine what a pro could do with one of these horns!!

Before I bought my Calicchio I tried as many of the big bore horns as I could find -- the Schilke X3 and X4, the Callet Jazz, Holton's MF model, and even a big bore Kanstul. John made me a 1sZ/3RL and I've never looked back since!! I liked my Hollywood Studio 2 but the 1sZ/3RL takes the Calicchio to a new, higher level.

You gotta' try one of these Tulsa Calicchios BEFORE you buy your next horn!!

---<Rick

7. Larry Gianni

Larry Gianni Piano User

Nov 11, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Hi all,

The wish the guys that plunk down " $ 2500 .00 " plus to buy a Wild Thing or Calett Jazz would play this one first or even the Calicchio LB 3/9 then make up their minds.

This is the most " efficient " LB trumpet out there. The amount of energy you put into playing this trumpet is minimal compared to what you get out the bell.

Efficiency - Physical effort behind the mouthpiece vs. production and volume of sound out the bell.

Efficiency is how well the trumpet is balanced and how well it uses neccesary resistance ( the good resistance ) in it's design. The term resistance in trumpet playing is like the word cholesterol for the body - there's good cholesterol and bad cholesterol and you need to keep a good ratio of this for a healty body.

In this trumpet, you get an expediential multiplier of " effieciency " in the ratio for the 1sz/3lr model.

Larry

( Thevor or TM help - did I spell " expediential " correctly . I sure glad their are alot smarter guys out to pick me up when I fall )

8. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Larry, the word for today is "exponential"! (We'll give you "efficiency" for free).

"Webster's 1913 Dictionary says:

Definition: \Ex`po*nen"tial\, a. [Cf. F. exponentiel.]
    Pertaining to exponents; involving variable exponents; as, an
    exponential expression; exponential calculus; an exponential
    function.

{Exponential curve}, a curve whose nature is defined by means
    of an exponential equation.

{Exponential equation}, an equation which contains an
    exponential quantity, or in which the unknown quantity
    enters as an exponent.

{Exponential quantity} (Math.), a quantity whose exponent is
    unknown or variable, as a^{x}.

{Exponential series}, a series derived from the development
    of exponential equations or quantities."

In layman's terms, the more you put in, the more you get out and the amount you get out grows compared to the amount you put in.

(Invest $10 and get 1% interest, invest $100 and get 10% interest)

9. Larry Gianni

Larry Gianni Piano User

Nov 11, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Hi all,

Tootsall , Thank you !!!

I really do appreciate when one of the smarter members of the group gives me a " explanation " of my " explanation "

I believe this forum has some very intelligent and highly communicative contributors and they are always welcome to clarify ( or question ) any of my contributions.

The whole idea , as I see it, is to get a message across that is based in fact and experience as a help to someone ( which may be yourself )

Why so many great players enjoy teaching is that by teaching others , you also re-iterate and re-enforce knowledge to yourself by going over it with a student.
    These principles sometimes have habit of slipping away and you don't always incorporate them in your own playing when you need to.
    By preparing and discussing them with students, this also has the benefit of engraining them in your own " grey matter " and getting them to be more second nature.

Thanks again , Tootsall . I will put your picture ( If I had one ) next to Thevor ( again, If I had one ) on my practice room wall.

Hey TM, like I said, some really intelligent guys roam these halls

Larry

" All I want for Christmas is spellcheck in this forum program "

10. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Oh maannn.....I hope that isn't the wall that you "throw darts at" (HIGH notes!) :D

'sides, it ain't about bein' smart or not smart. Some folks read everything they can get their hands on and forget little of it, some folks can just "look at" a transmission and know what's wrong with it, some folks have an inate sense of numbers and math... and some folks couldn't get lost if they tried.

We all have our own strengths and gifts. I'm just happy to hang out where some folks have different ones from mine!