John Packer Horns. Any Good ?

Discussion in 'Horns' started by Tanker, Jan 7, 2017.

1. Tanker

Tanker New Friend

Jan 6, 2017
    Hi Guys.
    I am looking to go back onto trumpet after many many years break, although I haven't had a horn for a long time I have been regimental bugler and still play bugle in a military band so I have always kept my lip in. I use either a C5 or C3 mouthpiece when I play. I am looking for a horn to start playing again, I have a budget of about £210 British Pounds and I have read a lot about the John Packer horns, but what I have read has not been on a trumpet players site, so what I want to know is. Are the John Packer 152 Horns any good and is the hype that I have read about them true to form, I have yet to read a bad review OR is it a case of ok for the first 12 months then the valves get drunk.. I have been thinking along the lines that If I go for a used horn that has been looked after then the valves and tubes are already worn in and seated, You may ask why I have not mentioned any other horns, well with boing off the scene for so many years, I am at a loss with the trumpet scene now and do not know which horns are good and which are bad. My last horn was in 1975 and it was a Conn. wish I still had it.
    Thanks for any advice or Info.
    best Wishes to all for 2017:dontknow:

2. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Welcome Tanker,
    Great to see a Bugler on the Comeback trail. I play a McQueens Bugle and love it.

The John Packer horns I have not played, but the Brits have referred to them here several times, and they get a good wrap. Can you go try them?

I Just checked their site - 2nd hand - - HOLD IT SORRY!! I thought it was the Challenger B&S
    https://www.johnpacker.co.uk/prod/secondhand-bamps-137-bb-trumpet-lacquer

Phone them- they may have a distributor near you.

Still the B&S is worth a look...

3. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Hi Tanker,
    I am just catching up with the other thread, and it seems to be a cross over. I'd follow Rapier and Seth's suggestions.
    Cheers

4. Tanker

Tanker New Friend

Jan 6, 2017
    Hi Peter.
    I have done as you mentioned and phoned Mac at JP. had a good chat with him and I have decided I am going to plumb for a JP 251. he said that is what I need to get going again and it should last me a good time until I decide to upgrade. Thank you for your advice. Much appreciated.
    Cheers
    Lee

5. faulken

faulken Pianissimo User

Aug 20, 2013
    Greenwood, IN
    I have not had good experiences with the JP products. I'm sure there are good ones. Play them and decide. I found they have intonation issues. The Eb cornet and tenor horn....well I'm sure this explains it mostly.

6. Tanker

Tanker New Friend

Jan 6, 2017
    Oh Well. back to square one. I have had a few people telling me from other sites to leave the John Packer stuff alone.... bloody minefield out there... so I am back to looking at what some of you guys have mentioned...
    Cheers Lee

7. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    I briefly tried out a couple of their upper-level cornets at NABBA a few years ago and they seemed pretty good at first blow.

8. faulken

faulken Pianissimo User

Aug 20, 2013
    Greenwood, IN
    Agree with Dale, the more expensive JP are better made. They are Jin Bao if I remember correctly. Some are wonderful, some are not. The entry level of almost anything will be variable, i.e., some good and some bad.

9. BrassBandMajor

BrassBandMajor Fortissimo User

Jan 13, 2015
    New Zealand
    Here's the deal. John Packer horns are all Chinese. LIKE ALL of the catalog is ALL Chinese.
    The entry level horns by J.Packer are all crappy horns, those cheap Chinese stencils.
    Now, the professional line is a different story, as faulken said, they are made by Jinbao (One of the leading Chinese manufacturing company).
    But for a professional cornet by J.Packer, a rather cheap Besson Sovereign copy for 426 pounds, you could buy a Bach Stradivarius Cornet from two companies. I just saw a Silver Strad cornet that went for 500 usd and a Elkhart waiting to be sold at 600 usd.

The point is invest in something better, the Chinese horn buying thing is a risky business, you might get a winner or you might get a loser.

10. Tanker

Tanker New Friend

Jan 6, 2017
    BrassBandMajor.
    Thank you for you reply, I am going to look around and see whats going, then look if its on the list that the guys have mentioned, if its on the list I will come back and ask for more advice on the model, if its not on any of the guys mentioned list then I will leave it alone, I am sure that way, I will get a decent horn and I will have the best advice. Never knew it was such a minfield, I last owned a horn in 1974 and it was a Conn, wish I still had it, but they wouldn't let me take it into the Army with me, so I sold it for peanuts.. in them days there didn't seem to be as many horns about, but there again we didn't have computers, heck we didn't even have Video Recorders or Microwaves in them days.. and a mobile phone was the size of a small case with a rubber curly wire attaching the hand set and the lot weighed in about 3Kgms lol, the crappy trumpets were 'Larks' and I think I remember 'La Fleur' and Jupiter. I have asked my Band Major tonight if anybody is selling a Trumpet so I will have to see what he comes back with and mention it on the site, Thanks for your
    Help.
    Lee