Johnny Coles

Discussion in 'TM Lounge' started by PhatmonB6, Nov 6, 2005.

1. PhatmonB6

PhatmonB6 Mezzo Piano User

Jan 16, 2005
    Minnesota
    A buddy of mine gave me a cd featuring JC on trumpet, Pete Larocha on drums, Duke pearson piano, Bob Crenshaw bass, Leo Wright alto sax, Joe Henderson tenor sax... walter perkins drums traks 1-3.
    I had never heard of JC but after hearing this cd the first thing that came to mind was Lee Morgan sort of bop style. A question for you Jazz Masters....How come I have not heard of Johnny Coles??? I'm hoping he was big time because after hearing that cd he better have been. ;-)

2. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    Little Johnny Coles was a giant. He was a major influence on the younger musicians of Philadelphia, Lee was one of the many players to come under John's spell. Johnny is on the Miles Davis- Gil Evans collaborations.John played with just about all of the major be-bop players.
    Check John out, he is wonderful.
    John was also one of the funniest guys on the planet.....we called him JaybeeCeebee. He invented a way of talking that Cosby used in his cartoons.
    Wilmer

3. PH

PH Mezzo Piano User

Dec 2, 2003
    Bloomington, Indiana
    Right, Mushmouth!

4. PhatmonB6

PhatmonB6 Mezzo Piano User

Jan 16, 2005
    Minnesota
    Can any of you recommend other Johnny Coles recordings...I think I am hooked. :cool:

5. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    New Bottle, Old Wine -Gil Evans
    Little Johnny C
    The Warm Sound
    That will get you started :cool:

The next time you hear "The Horse" by Cliff Noble, know that it is JC and Johnny Lynch on that oldie.
    Wilmer