Joined the Super C brigade briefly

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Cornyandy, Aug 24, 2012.

1. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    Okay so I've just bought a banger of a Lincoln Selmer off Ebay 20 Quid its a bit beat up but I need a project so I'm going to tidy it up (I can hear the warnings already but I have a friend who is repair tech and he is always on at me to give this a go and run things past him if i get stuck) it also has an unusual mush iron that's worth 20 quid of anyones money. So I plug in my Wick 3C heavy top play some arpeggios and octaves on my new beater and Pring slighlty tight but there super C

I'm chuffed:D

2. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    a new note, is your best note --- at least you know --- NOW IT IS POSSIBLE ---- so practice, perservere, and have patience --- eventually it can BE YOUR NOTE that you can have -- all the time!!!!

well -- most of the time, anyhow -- and that has to be better than -- never at all

3. bachfella

bachfella Mezzo Piano User

Oct 11, 2011
    Claymont, DE
    So is "Super C" some new name for the note I've always called "Double High C", or "Double C"?? Who came up with the new name??:shock:

I don't want to rain on Andy's parade--I understand why he'd be "chuffed" over hitting the note....

4. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    I think its an English slang (please forgive me) its the DHC two octave above C on the stave. My most humble apologies from this heathen from the other side of the pond:dontknow:

5. eventomte

eventomte New Friend

Jul 8, 2011
    Oslo, Norway
    Gongrats! I hit 3rd octave F today, which is an achievement by my standards.

6. Local 357

Local 357 Banned

Jul 1, 2011

You're killing yourself un-necessarily. That Dennis Wick 3C has an inner rim bite like the side of Bobby Orr's hockey skate. The cup depth gives no help at all for upper range support.

It might make a good roach holder but that's about it. Better choice? Schilke 14B, Schilke 14A or the 13 B or 13A.

7. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    not looking for any arguments from the "shallow" crowd (uhm, shallow mpc is what I meant) --- but some us aren't likely to be able to play shallow mpcs for various reasons. A 3C just might be our only hope of an all round decent mpc, and if we can pick off some notes above the high C -- perhaps those of us that can get a somewhat decent High A,B and C (sometimes) ---- then I prefer to kill myself with 1 mpc for my all round general playing (from the low F# to the DHC).

and besides -- I believe Arturo Sandoval uses a 3C -- poor sucker, killing him self all these years -- -NEEDLESSLY and UNECESSARILY -- -QUICK, someone call up Arturo and explain his dilemma in Spanish or something, so he can understand ----

8. bachfella

bachfella Mezzo Piano User

Oct 11, 2011
    Claymont, DE
    Didn't know about the nomenclature difference, and no, you're NOT a "heathen" because you call the note by a different name!!:-) Happy that you hit it--I never have, and I was a college trumpet major!! (got the degree to prove it, but I've still never hit a Double C, Super C, or whatever anyone calls it).

Cornyandy likes this.
  9. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    and there is still time --- if you need to hit it. My personal acceptance in life --- I can hit it, but perhaps I can't play it (all the time) ----- and perhaps there is a large exertion of energy for notes above the High C (octave above the C on the staff) ---- and they take (ME) a lot of time, but then again, I find it exhilarating to play a few lines above the High C to the High A area.

10. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    The first time I heard the term "Super C" was 42 years ago at the Army Navy School of Music. I'm from the NYC area never heard it called that before. A lot of players from the southern and mid western states were using this name at that time.

It's like when someone says they play notes in the stratosphere.I checked all my music texts and couldn't find that term or octave anywhere. We all know what they mean.