Joining the local community band

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by WyldeBill66, Jan 15, 2009.

1. WyldeBill66

WyldeBill66 Pianissimo User

Dec 13, 2008
    Salinas,CA
    Well, I'm taking the plunge and joining the local college community band. I've only been back playing about 3-4 weeks, so I hope I don't make a fool of myself (too much). I figure that is probably the best way to get me back in shape. I've been playing 1-1.5 hours a night trying to get my chops back. Lot's of long tones and easy songs from a beginners book. I get just a little better each night. My tone sounds better for a little longer each time. I figure at $20 for the semester and we have some performances, it will be worth it, and I'll hopefully have a lot of fun and meet some other trumpet players. I'll take both my 38 Silvertone trumpet and my Getzen Eterna cornet to see which one works out better. The cornet is easier to play right now due to it being more open. Wish me luck all.
    Wylde Bill

2. Darthsunshine

Darthsunshine Mezzo Forte User

Jul 19, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    Go for it. I started with church gigs, and then spent months getting up the nerve (and the lip) to audition for a community orchestra. Now that I've done it I think I should've done it sooner. I'm progressing much more quickly now, and even got an excellent private teacher to make sure the progress is well founded. I'm having a blast, and I bet you will too :thumbsup:

3. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Great stuff WyldeBill - this is exactly the track I took too @ 50 yo - lots of youngsters and everyone playing better than me, but once they know you're serious - well, it's such a great experience. Big step, well done, good luck, have fun, hang in there. :thumbsup:

4. Hoghorn

Hoghorn Pianissimo User

Dec 30, 2008
    Manitowoc Wi.
    Way to go Big Bill, I did the exact same thing and I'm Still in the college bands. Lots of fun, you get to hang out with other trumpet players.......AND play !!

Hoghorn

5. Richard Oliver

Richard Oliver Forte User

Jul 18, 2006
    Casper, WY
    Good luck Bill! It'll be fun. If you can't play something, or get lost, hang in there. Woodshed at home, and in several weeks you'll be right in the thick of things :)

6. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    Best of luck. Let us know how it works out for you!

Some people scoff at community bands, but I'd much rather play with ANY group than simply sit at home and play with myself. Wait...that doesn't sound right. What I mean is that it's better to experience playing with a group than just sitting home and practicing for hours then never actually performing.

7. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    You are taking a positive step in order to progress, but I must say in order to progress at a quicker rate you need to find a reputable private teacher.

8. Brass crusader

Brass crusader Mezzo Piano User

Keep practicing, and enjoy playing!

9. oldlips48

oldlips48 Piano User

Mar 1, 2007
    I did exactly the same thing. 30yr layoff, got the kids off to college, decided to start playing again, brushed up for a few weeks then joined a community band.

It's totally up to you how serious you want to be about it. But IMHO the idea is to HAVE FUN.

Good Luck!!

10. MFfan

MFfan Fortissimo User

Sep 13, 2006
    Kalamazoo, Michigan