Joining the local community band

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by WyldeBill66, Jan 15, 2009.

1. WyldeBill66

WyldeBill66 Pianissimo User

Dec 13, 2008
    Salinas,CA
    I'm very serious about playing again. Of course I want to have a lot of fun while I'm at it. I've got a week and a half to get my endurance built up to a decent level and I've been back at it everynight for at least an hour. We'll see how it goes.:-)
    Wylde Bill

2. johnMak

johnMak Pianissimo User

Dec 1, 2008
    Ridgecrest CA
    I played in high school years ago for about a year or two. That was 1975-76, I need to take the step YOU just took, join a community band. I know someone in the band but he is not the contact, but he tells me to come on in and meet some of the players see how I like it...

That is scary for me, I'm 50, and self conscience.

Though I did play a song at the senior home few weeks back and thought it was good enough, I have practiced that song and then some, I may play again another song that I've been working on....

But a community band? Am I good enough? Oh my...

3. MFfan

MFfan Fortissimo User

Sep 13, 2006
    Kalamazoo, Michigan
    Give it a chance, John! Newbies normally are, or you can request 3rd part, then you may not have much pressure. Depends on the skill level of the band and the grade of music they play. Is it a drop in band or one with auditions? You will find your confidence and see others are in similar situations to yours. Most community bands are pretty welcoming, if they have a spot open you can see how it works out. You don't have to sign a contract so you could leave any time if it is not working out at your stage of development. You will find out how your present skills work out, or what you have to do to improve.
    If there are others on the same part, it will help you not to feel too self conscious. The soloists have most of that exposure. I feel, somehow, you will fit in and have a great time.:play:

4. oohhh yeah

oohhh yeah Pianissimo User

Nov 23, 2008
    B.C. Canada
    How much $ do you get?

5. WyldeBill66

Dec 13, 2008
    Salinas,CA
    I'm 42, and I get very self-concious as well. I haven't played since 1982 up until about 3-4 weeks ago. I figure the only way to do it is to jump in. It is only $20 to join and there are is try-out as far as I know. It is just for fun. If it is too far over my head I can just drop out, and try again next semester. Maybe I'll find someone to practice with away from the once a week practice. I'm excited and nervous at the same time.
    Wylde Bill
    By the way John, I grew up down your way, in Lancaster. Left there in 1996.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2009
  6. johnMak

johnMak Pianissimo User

Dec 1, 2008
    Ridgecrest CA
    Navy brought me here years ago and I stayed here when I got out. Originally, I grew up in upstate NY. Plattsburgh. etc... Adirondacks was my stomping grounds.

But I found the new IPAS software INTERESTING! My Son plays that ROCKBAND GAME and they have to match the screen real close to learn and get a better score...

I saw the books at the music store the other day and went back today and bought them. The Standard of Excellence books, I've had them and still work in them as well. but new with this version is the Enhanced Comprehensive Band Method.

I just downloaded from the inclosed CD the iPAS Assessement Software.

I set up my external mic about 2 feet from the cornet bell and did what was on the screen and soon I was ready for lesson one assessment.

Page 6 #7 Band On Parade. This score: 96 notes:100% Rhythm: 93%

Page 7 #12 Cardiff by The Sea Score: 96 notes:100% Rhythm: 92%

Now this was fun, and I look foward to more of the same. The set up program does a sound check of the room to be sure the room is quiet enough, and a test of the trumpet to see if the Mic is positioned enough to get a good recording. All this comes with the book and the Accompaniment recordings (play along lessons) and the iPAS assessment software for $9.95

I'm not selling anything, but I'm a step closer to an actual private teacher again. I had about 6 months of classed already about a year half ago?

7. WyldeBill66

Dec 13, 2008
    Salinas,CA
    Is that a computer program or for a game system. Sounds interesting.
    Wylde Bill

8. Wlfgng

Wlfgng Piano User

Aug 15, 2008
    Canada
    Joining a comunity band or orchestra is one of the fastest ways to improve playing. They do not wait for you to figure out notes or rythems when they play, you rally have to focus on what you are doing. People.....are always a help when playing especialy your fellow trumpeters whether its word of encouragment, playing, phrasing etc.

It is also a great place to learn how to listen to others and try to blend.

Don't forget your pencil!

9. johnMak

johnMak Pianissimo User

Dec 1, 2008
    Ridgecrest CA
    Its the NEW Standard of Excellence books 1 and 2.

By Bruce Pearson.

"Includes all accompaniment Recordings and iPAS Assessment Software!"

Go to the music store and check out the new method books by Bruce Pearson.

this is new for me and it reminded me of the game system my Son plays with. the Mic set up is simular.

10. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    You'll find that skills like reading, fingerings will come back pretty fast. But it will take a while for your range and endurance to come back. Other posters have said this but how about some lessons from a good teacher? Now would be a good time to correct any bad playing habits that will hold you back