Jon Faddis, "March That Thang"

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by acarcido, Oct 23, 2012.

1. acarcido

acarcido Forte User

Dec 28, 2009
    Ontario, Ca
    Talk about extreme high register playing. I love this song, eventhough I come no where near to being able to play this. LOL

JON FADDIS - MARCH THAT THANG

2. rettepnoj

rettepnoj Fortissimo User

Feb 22, 2009
    Norway
    Jon Faddis? Who is that? A synth player? This is for sure not a trumpet, no way anyone can play that high!!

JK

3. acarcido

acarcido Forte User

Dec 28, 2009
    Ontario, Ca
    If I were to play that high I think I'd blow a brain vessel.ROFL

JK[/QUOTE]

4. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Screechin' doesn't cut it with me, and I'd never expect any reputable field band to march to it. If you "own" an extreme high note on a Bb trumpet let me hear it in 4/4 time at a tempo of 120 with 2 tied whole notes.

5. acarcido

acarcido Forte User

Dec 28, 2009
    Ontario, Ca
    Ed, this is meant to listen to and appreciate. Do not confuse this with screeching and of course, no one will be marching to this tune. That's the whole point of the title. :shock:

6. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Bluntly, I did NOT appreciate it, as is my personal right to do so, and IMO it contains a lot of screechin' with little musical reality. Still, I respect a lot of what Jon Faddis plays and his ability to do so. Also, I do know a high school band that I feel could "step" to it, and they have some renown having been in Presidential, Rose Bowl, and Macy's parades. Also, I did not think this was a parody of a musical march. My music march training is Sousa style and some of the classical marches as would certainly not compare.

7. acarcido

acarcido Forte User

Dec 28, 2009
    Ontario, Ca
    Strongly opinionated aren't you? It's our given right to do so and thank you for your personal comments and opinions. I did not post this with the intention of rousing any sour taste within anyone. My humblest of appologies to you Mr Ed Lee. In any genre of music we musician tend to keep an open mind as we all develop our own style and likes.

Here in southern California (LA Area) you can get all flavors of any style and creativity in music all withing a 30 minute drive between venues.

8. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Oh I'm sure LA has everything ... that I may take exception with of a comfortable airport terminal IMO. No apologies needed for a difference of opinion ... at least I listened to it completely.

I now live in the boonies of Eastern NC, less than 30 minutes to the VA border, where IMO instrumental music that I enjoy is next to non-existant, the genres broadcast on FM being mostly gospel, country, and bluegrass. Jammin' with some other "oldies" playing big band, 50s Rock & Roll, and light jazz is a respite now and then, as is the traditional Christian music in church. Believe me when I say a survey "on the street" of high school age in Jackson when asked who Wynton Marsalis or Chris Botti are I would only get the dumb face reply in question form of "Who?" Certainly, I wouldn't dare ask them to name any 3 classical music composers, and even if I asked them if they've ever heard any Sousa music they wouldn't know. When I then ask if they ever watched the 4th of July celebration on TV from DC I get an affirmative. Thus, either they are deaf or just don't know the composer of our National March, but then again if I asked ALL the adults that passed through here if they knew the composer of our National Anthem, I expect to get as much as a 99% wrong answer. Where I once lived in the D.C. environ, I can't on my fingers the genres of music I could listen to on radio or in venues and I'd certainly expect many to at least know of John Philip Sousa, and about 25% would know his home was in DC and perhaps 10% could tell me which DC cemetery is where he is buried.

Would I dare ask the Editor of the Washington Post to name 5 songs that Sousa composed? I lay a $50.00 wager that he couldn't spontaneiously name one that was not a march and first published in DC and yet it is in my repertoire as a consequence of having been taught by a cornetist with Sousa's second commercial band 1926-31 who knew them all. Yes, I'm expecting the Editor to be able to name only 3 Sousa songs. Which 3 do you expect him to name? Any TMer is invited to answer this.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2012
  9. acarcido

acarcido Forte User

Dec 28, 2009
    Ontario, Ca
    Stars and Stripes Forever, Marine Corp (Semper Fidelis) March, March of the Gladiator and Hmmm SO so soooo many more. We played his songs back in the 80's when Reagan was still in office. Before the modern day age we are in now.

10. bachfella

bachfella Mezzo Piano User

Oct 11, 2011
    Claymont, DE
    Sabres and Spurs is a good one, too....The Thunderer, El Capitan....