Jon Faddis question

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by crowmadic, May 29, 2007.

1. crowmadic

crowmadic Mezzo Piano User

Oct 3, 2006
    I just watched some Jon Faddis video on YouTube, and I'm a bit bewildered. I watched what I guess was a young Jon Faddis playing a ballad on a "Dizzy type horn," with Dizzy. His playing was sensative, original, and quite beautiful. Then I watched some other "Jon Faddis" videos where he was a large man playing a standard horn belting out some extreemly high notes. I'm a different person from my twenties, larger for sure, but is the older Jon Faddis the same sensative player I heard playing with Dizzy? Unless you know a lot about Jon Faddis you might have to go to YouTube to answer this question. If I can't get an easy answer here, I'll get up off the couch and research it myself. It's just that I liked the young Jon Faddis' playing better than the older (of course the older guy's speacialty of high notes are impressive).

2. Ray Vega

Ray Vega Pianissimo User

Faddis can do it all. Have you heard his recording on the "Chesky" label? Jon's playing on this date is absolutely glorious. Jon has a beautiful tone on flugel that most are not aware of.

3. crowmadic

Oct 3, 2006
    Ray and others, I take it then that the YouTube video I saw was him playing with Dizzy many years ago. I'll check out the "Chesky" recordings Ray. I hope I can find it by just googling "Chesky" recordings and Jon Faddis.

4. Claude Gnocchi

Claude Gnocchi Mezzo Forte User

Aug 16, 2006
    National Harbor Maryland
    Crow: You are NOT alone in this feeling.....I saw a similar post on another current high-note player. For me it is the amazingly inventive players that get me...like Ron Stout's phrasing, feel and use of dynamics.....amazing! Check him out!;-)

PS- I want to be like Ron when I grow up...only problem is...I'm already his age......darn it!

5. crowmadic

Oct 3, 2006
    Claude, I went to YouTube to find Ron Stout playing. The only thing I got was Woody Herman's band. He was in there but I couldn't identify him. If he has a solo album/cd please let me know..........thanks

6. Claude Gnocchi

Aug 16, 2006
    National Harbor Maryland
    Do a "Google" search on him. I bought his album "For Chet and Other Heroes" and it is worth every penny...my favorite Ron Stout tune is not on there, though, I heard him play "Hard Bodies" on a brass web-site (Can't remember the name at the moment...). I fell in love w/his playing on that tune....

I'm sure someone here will remember the web site I'm referring to...it has most all famous trumpet players and audio/video clips of most...

7. bachstrad72

bachstrad72 Pianissimo User

May 9, 2007
    Philly
    trumpet-stuff.com ?

8. Claude Gnocchi

Aug 16, 2006
    National Harbor Maryland
    :-) YES! Thanks. Listen to Ron Stout's tune Hard Body.....in my opinion, a masterclass in jazz trumpet improvisation!!!!!

9. crowmadic

Oct 3, 2006
    Claude, I did get to hear Ron Stout thanks to Perry Sutton and trumpet-stuff.com. I greatly appreciated his playing and would give my big toe nail to play a fraction as good. But, I'd give both toe nails to play more like Jon Faddis. The main difference for me is Jon's expression of every note he plays. Jon Faddis isn't my over all favorite but he does play each note like it's connected to his "heart". All players project that connection frequently, but the guys who can do that consistantly on every note at all tempos have my deepest appreciation. Thanks for making me aware of another great horn player.

10. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    When observing Jon Faddis' recent playing, one thing comes to mind (the same with Wayne Bergeron for that matter): Maturity. They have seen it all, done it all and that gives them a sheer unlimited pool of creative concepts that they can turn into music. They have really earned what it takes to be where they are. Kudos!