Joshua MacCluer Plays Ravel: Piece en Forme de Habanera

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by maccluer, Jul 16, 2014.

1. maccluer

maccluer New Friend

Sep 30, 2004
    St Louis
    http://youtu.be/DXgtrKF7JVQ

To bring depth to any relationship whether musical or personal takes time. Just as truly meaningful friendships develop over time, a special performance of a piece of music comes after a long term musical relationship. Conversely, to learn a piece in a day or two and immediately perform it without developing a relationship with it is like a cheap fling; shallow and unsatisfying.

One work I have had a very long term relationship with is Ravel's Piece en Forme de Habanera. I first played it at a recital at Oberlin in 1996. I hope you enjoy my latest version of this beautiful piece, the result of an 18 year old musical friendship, with pianist Illie Ng Ling Ling. Here’s to many more years of friendship with this beautiful piece.

http://joshuamaccluer.com/developing...ps-with-music/

2. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Wow - that was really, really beautiful. Awesome sound, fantastic control - just really a first class rendition of it. Thanks for sharing that.

I can really relate to what you said about having a relationship with music. In so much of the work I do as a musician, whether it's drums, trumpet or vocals, as often as not, I'm only given a few days to prepare whatever it is I'm going to perform. Sometimes It comes out great and everything just locks, but it would be nice at times to really be able to dig into a piece, really learn it, and properly rehearse it before performing it. Most of the time I get a run-through or two, and as often as not, I'm going into a performance cold - no rehearsal, just the personal practice time I put in to prepare.

But, such is the life of the commercial, gigging player, and sometimes I really miss the realm of classical music, which tends to take a more measured approach to the preparation and presentation of a piece.

3. vern

vern Piano User

Mar 4, 2008
    Michigan
    Very nice, Joshua. I really enjoyed the piece and the performance and thanks for posting this. By the way, I also like the blog. Keep up the great work!!!

4. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    A really nice 'Spanish' sound you have there, which is of course entirely appropriate for a habanera!

And an education too as I wasn't aware of this piece. The only Ravel in my collection is the beautiful but somewhat mournful Pavane pour une infante defunte, a situation that is clearly going to have to be corrected this Christmas.

Thank-you and well done! :-)

5. songbook

songbook Piano User

Apr 25, 2010
    Just beautiful Joshua; Thank's for sharing your talent. By the way, what is that gigantic mouthpiece you are using?