JP Packer 171 cornet

Discussion in 'Horns' started by Gendreauj, Jan 9, 2019.

1. Gendreauj

Gendreauj Mezzo Piano User

Aug 26, 2013
    Metro-Detroit
    Bought the JP Packer 171 cornet off of Ebay. Waiting on its arrival. After selling off my raw brass cornets, decided to buy this cornet. Another leap of faith on my part.

What are your experiences with this cornet?

2. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    I had one I got to use in a British Brass Band and it was excellent. The L.H. grip was too wide for me and a little ackward, but that's personal. Could work really well for you. But otherwise, I thought the horn performed better than what its price might imply.

I wonder, though, why you ask after rather than before you drop the money?

3. Gendreauj

Aug 26, 2013
    Metro-Detroit
    With my impulsive personality, I really need to stay off EBay and Shopgoodwill. Have been researching this horn for sometime. Looked at both trumpet forums,their website and other sites. But there are many mixed reviews on this cornet.
    Guess if I don't like it could sell for about what I paid. Decided not to buy anymore distressed student horns. Have never owed one of this brand.Having owed so many different models and different brands. Previously owed a Yamaha 731, Yamaha 2330 cornet, Bach 310, Holton cornet, Conn 17 A cornet and several other cornets. Found out I like Shepherd's crook cornets, wondering how this differs from the other Shepherd's crooks cornets.

I think I enjoy the testing of new purchased horns more than their retention.

4. Dennis78

Dennis78 Fortissimo User

Feb 1, 2015
    Cincinnati
    Should play similar to the cr310. I thought that the 271SW played similar

5. Gendreauj

Aug 26, 2013
    Metro-Detroit
    Thanks. I did like my Bach 310 cornet. Did get tired of the raw brass finish though.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019