JTR-606ML or JTR-606MS - help please :)

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by JTR-606ML, Apr 2, 2009.

1. JTR-606ML

JTR-606ML New Friend

Apr 1, 2009
    Sydney
    Now I feel much better ;-) thanks a lot guys ;-) Comments like "very hard" etc made me doubt my decision, just joking

I do know how to read music as I went to "musical school" for 4 years, back in Europe. I'll give it a go and see what happens

2. JTR-606ML

JTR-606ML New Friend

Apr 1, 2009
    Sydney
    I know how to read music as I went to "musical school" for 4 years back in Europe.
    I will give it a go, wait and see what happens

3. marsuleu

marsuleu Piano User

Mar 30, 2009
    Bucharest , Romania
    hey ! got the trumpet ?!? when you buy it, remember to buy a cleaning set ( snake, mouthpiece brush , valve oil , slide grease , polishing cloth & laquer/silver polish and a leather valve guard ) . it is very important for a beginer to clean the trumpet, it helps you feel and play better !

Last edited: Apr 3, 2009
  4. JTR-606ML

JTR-606ML New Friend

Apr 1, 2009
    Sydney
    Yes I got the trumpet 606MS model :) I also got snake, mouthpiece brush, valve oil, slide grease and polishing cloth. Did not buy laquer/silver polish and a leather valve guard :( Can you tell me more about those? What are they for? Where can I get them from? What type of laquer/silver polish do you recommend?

5. JTR-606ML

JTR-606ML New Friend

Apr 1, 2009
    Sydney
    By the way, what is leather valve guard?

6. marsuleu

marsuleu Piano User

Mar 30, 2009
    Bucharest , Romania
    you need silver polish to clean and protect the silver finish . there are many brands , which one is good . regarding valve guard, this is a piece of leather for covering the exterior casing valves,to protect them from the skin salt and sweat (affects the silver in time). ask that store for these accesories...they must have if they sell trumpets .

7. JTR-606ML

JTR-606ML New Friend

Apr 1, 2009
    Sydney
    marsuleu, thank you for the advice!

So you use the leather valve guard while playing the instrument, correct?

Can you suggest any good books for a complete trumpet beginner?

8. marsuleu

marsuleu Piano User

Mar 30, 2009
    Bucharest , Romania
    yes, I use valve guard everytime ( when I play , when the trumpet is in the case , vlave guard stay fixed. only when you polish it you can get it off )
    as I said, I didn't learn from books, just video tutorials/friends advices over the internet .
    but you can try Arban method for trumpet. I know it is one of the best beginer methods. maybe you should ask this into anonther thread ( search first )

9. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Lads,

Have a care with the silver polish - use it sparingly, if at all. Silver polish REMOVES SILVER and the shiney finish is the exposure of new silver. If you have a silver polishing cloth - the blue one, (the yellow one is for lacquered instruments) then it will be the perfect thing for polishing your silverplated horn without removing silver - it just removes the stains and verdigris.

Polish your trumpet AFTER washing and re-assembly, if you wash after polishing you remove the protective film left by the cloth. By the way, the cloth works just as well as it gets black as when it is new - so don't wash the cloth, that spoils it completely. The trumpet needs to be COMPLETELY DRY for the cloth to work best.

So bottom line - use the cloth after washing and drying - do not use the polish unless your new trumpet is absolutely filthy and horrible.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2009
  10. JTR-606ML

JTR-606ML New Friend

Apr 1, 2009
    Sydney
    So, do not use silver polish unless really required, right? I do have the blue polishing cloth which means I should be fine.

How many times should I oil the pistons? Some say oil them every second day for the first month or so (if trumpet is new) some say once a week. Also, how often should I bath my trumpet?