Junk in tone....

Discussion in 'Wise Talk!' started by Whataguy!, Jul 8, 2005.

1. Whataguy!

Whataguy! Pianissimo User

Jan 16, 2004
    Osaka, Japan
    Wilmer, I just wanted to ask your advice about impurities in my tone. It's usually pretty good until I get a little tired, and then all kinds of stuff enters my tone from multi-phonics (involuntary) to sounds I can't even describe without short, pithy expletives. I understand that a good concept and proper breathing are essential to a good tone, but these days, junk creeps into my sound and I don't know why':dontknow:'. Help, please.

2. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    Sometimes complacency can set in when things are going well.
    Could it be that you are letting up on your air? Are you using the octave key a bit too much? What about your posture? Are you slumping and maybe closing the throat?
    Try to feel and play the same way at the end of the night as you did in the beginning of the gig.
    Wilmer

3. Whataguy!

Whataguy! Pianissimo User

Jan 16, 2004
    Osaka, Japan
    Thank you, Wilmer, for the advice.

4. Darrien

Darrien Pianissimo User

Nov 27, 2008
    St Vincent (West Indies)
    what is meant by multi-phonics?

5. TrumpEd

TrumpEd Pianissimo User

Oct 9, 2008
    Texas
    The Wiseone2 said not to overuse the octave key, profound and true! I had an instructor that threatened to have my 'octave key' or finger removed if I couldn't learn to keep away from it.

6. Ed Kennedy

Ed Kennedy Forte User

Nov 18, 2006
    I use blue painters tape to block the 8va key on my students' horns if they can't stay away from it. (it comes off without leaving a mess)

Try a lot of very soft practice. Clarks Technical Studies

7. jdizzle

jdizzle Pianissimo User

Nov 22, 2008
    in the 513
    Take your tuning slide out and do some buzzing on the leadpipe. Listen to the sound and try to make it clear. This should help get the junk out of the sound.

8. Darrien

Darrien Pianissimo User

Nov 27, 2008
    St Vincent (West Indies)
    I'm a bit lost here. What 8ve key???? Is that on a picc, cause I'm only used to 1,2 &3 valves on my Bb. Could someone please clarify what the octave key is??

And Whataguy could you explain what multiphonics is.

Thanks again.