Jupiter pocket trumpet

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by The Kraken, Sep 18, 2009.

1. The Kraken

The Kraken Piano User

Mar 28, 2007
    Gold Coast - 805
    Has anybody here ever played on a Pocket Trumpet? JUPITER MODEL I have been practicing on one due to my 1948 Selmer is in the shop. I find it harder to blow through then my Selmer.

Just wondering if it is this way because of the size or maybe it's just me.

I use a Bach 1½ C mouth peice on both.

On another note does anybody else use this mouth peice? if so why you like it?

2. ExtraTeeth

ExtraTeeth Pianissimo User

Nov 13, 2008
    Perth, Western Australia
    No, it's not you. I've got one of those and it gets pretty stuffy above top line g regardless of what mouthpiece I use.

3. Dupac

Dupac Fortissimo User

Aug 19, 2008
    Bordeaux, France.
    On the contrary, I have two Jupiter pockets, and they sound very nice up to high E/F (above the stave). But they are recent ones : it seems the factory has greatly improved its quality of making in the last ten years.

4. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Is your Selmer a Paris model, a London model, or something else? The reason that I ask is mine is a London Invicta model from the 1950's. I bought it in Australia and I have not seen another like it. It is a great trumpet with all sorts of neat features like side-throw trombone-style water keys on both main and 3rd slides, a 3rd valve trigger, and a nickel-plated bell. I was curious if there are others like this one there.

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Pocket trumpets (especially with smaller bells) feel stuffier because they do not give our ears the feedback that they are used to.

I have addressed this several times here. The "feeling" of stuffy has normally little to do with the resistance of the horn. Take your favorite instrument into a nice sounding church or concert hall and enjoy the "free blow". Then take exactly the same instrument and go outdoors where there is no buildings and play the same tune. It is like blowing into cotton candy. MUCH stiffer. The difference is what your ears get.

I also use a pocket, but have played it enough so that my ears and brain expect something different. It is then MUCH easier to play.

6. lmf

lmf Forte User

May 16, 2007
    Indiana USA
    Rowuk.

Great observations!

I believe your comment ""but I have played it enough so that my ears and brain expect something different. It is then MUCH easier to play."

We usually listen (or read) the hype that a pocket trumpet "sounds like a Bb trumpet though smaller" that we believe the two should play exactly alike. There is indeed a difference, but one can learn to play both by engaging "ear and brain' to anticipate the differences and then enjoy them.

Best wishes,

Lloyd

7. The Kraken

The Kraken Piano User

Mar 28, 2007
    Gold Coast - 805

Mine is a PARIS Model

8. The Kraken

The Kraken Piano User

Mar 28, 2007
    Gold Coast - 805
    Thank You for the reply's guys,

Glad its not my lip, but more my brain. LOL

9. unkleschilke

unkleschilke New Friend

Jul 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Speaking about the 1-1/2C, I've played one now for 10 years or so. What do you want to know?

I think I like it, its deep enough for my fat lips, has a not too soft rim for help with attacks, and the backbore doesn't make my eyes bulge :shock: when I want to peel paint.

10. The Kraken

The Kraken Piano User

Mar 28, 2007
    Gold Coast - 805

Well I changed to this mouth peice at the urging of an instructor I had years ago, before that I used a Bach 10 1/2 C. And before that I used a Schilke 1 something, prior to that it was the good old 7C.

I was just curious if it does all you want it to do, I fully realize that practice and isometrics can get you to a higher range, just wondering if this mouth peice is ideal for that, of course once I get there.

Hell I'm proud of myself, two days ago I hit an "A" with a clear intonation and held it a full measure, I almost lost myself in the excitement. Been doing alot of isometric exercises lately.

Of course for some of you that "A" may be common practice, but for me?

It's a milestone.

Gotta Love the Practice !! :play:

Thanks