Jupiter pocket trumpet

Discussion in 'Horns' started by Sterling, Sep 3, 2010.

1. Sterling

Sterling Mezzo Forte User

Oct 22, 2007
    Marcellus, NY
    So I was searching through craigslist the other day and found a black and gold Jupiter pocket trumpet for $200.00, brand new. I wanted one 5 or 6 years ago whe they sold for around $400.00 but thought that was a bit much for a toy. It arrived today and I tried it with my Monette B6 and it was kind of squirrelly pitch-wise. I then tried my B 4 Flumpet mouthpiece and it was a nice match. My fifth, sixth, and seventh grade band students will love it. N plus one strikes again! Anyone else have any history with this instrument?

2. Bruin

Bruin Pianissimo User

Mar 21, 2008
    L.A.
    I bought a lacquer version of the Jupiter 416 via eBay. I was surprised at how well it played and sounded, but then I accidentally picked it up by its tuning slide, and the horn fell and its lightweight bell crumpled up pretty good. 2 different shops couldn't iron it out because pockets don't give you enough room in which to work such machines.

I also think that when I dropped this horn, that the valve alignment was affected. Notes didn't play quite as cleanly nor did they slot quite as well. So, I sold it via craigslist for about 1/2 of what I paid for it. But, I really liked it before I dropped it. It was a lot of fun, and I considered playing it at a coffee house gig.

I don't know if I'd buy another Jupiter pocket now, not with competitors seemingly offering better sounding pockets, like Carol or Colin models:

YouTube - Carol SLB Pocket Trumpet

YouTube - Free Improvisation on my Carol Pocket Trumpet

But, you got a very good price and it's brand-new - good job. For the price, that was a no-lose purchase. I hope everybody has fun with it.

3. Dupac

Dupac Fortissimo User

Aug 19, 2008
    Bordeaux, France.
    Sorry wrong post !

Last edited: Sep 3, 2010
  4. Dupac

Dupac Fortissimo User

Aug 19, 2008
    Bordeaux, France.
    There is now a NEW Jupiter pocket, named JPT 516, with a full-sized bell : a new horn to try, I think.

5. Sterling

Sterling Mezzo Forte User

Oct 22, 2007
    Marcellus, NY
    Thanks for the suggestion on how not to pick it up (by the tuning slide!). I'll carry it by the bell crook. Thanks Bruin. I'll remind my 13 year old son about that! Right now I'm playing Concert Studies for trumpet written for Philip Smith and putting the Jupiter through it's paces with a strobe tuner. Fun stuff!

6. Garydw

Garydw New Friend

Jul 7, 2017
    Halifax, NS
    I recently got my dad's JPT 416 (the old version). He had purchased it from a small shop in Germany back in the 1980s I think. At first I, too, found it strange having my hands so close to my face. It was different in my hands, like how to hold it. I found it a little harder to slot the notes than on my Jupiter 1602sr XO, but I changed the mouthpiece from the stock 7C to my Jupiter 1.5C and it plays much better. Intonation is good, sound is bright and clear, and it is not stuffy up to high C. Sadly, I dropped it the same way - by holding it by the first valve tuning slide - and partially caught it with my feet. Leadpipe was bent, so I took it in hand and straightened it out. Plays fine and valves are great, so thankfully, no damage!