Jupiter Slide Trumpet

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Sterling, Mar 10, 2011.

1. Sterling

Sterling Mezzo Forte User

Oct 22, 2007
    Marcellus, NY
    The local music store is letting me borrow a Jupiter Slide Trumpet/Soprano trombone for the week. Do I need one of these? I am a middle school band director, grades 5,6,and 7. It would be nice playing along with my trumpet players so they can't look at my fingering! Next question: Do I play treble clef and transpose or learn new positions for treble clef; ie third space C is first position instead of thinking it as concert Bb, first position?

2. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Need is too strong a word. Because of the size, it's all scaled down,including where the positions are. I know a teacher that has one and it currently resides in the case, maybe in the attic? He doesn't use it is the point. It is a novelty item at best. He did not enjoy playing it. His wife bought it for him so that's why it wasn't sold or donated.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2011
  3. The Dutch Guy

The Dutch Guy Piano User

Sep 22, 2008
    Netherlands
    I have one, and for playing at home it's a lot of fun. It's hard to get the notes enough in tune to play in any kind of musical setting however. That takes a LOT of practise.

I got the 'Thomann' soprano trombone, that is essentially the same in every way but two as the 'Jupiter' trombone. The only differences are the name engraved on the bell and the price tag. (Thomann is a lot cheaper.)

4. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    I agree.

Novelty item IMO.

5. Danbassin

Danbassin Pianissimo User

Aug 27, 2006
    Buffalo, New York
    If you don't want trumpet players to look at your fingerings, I'd suggest playing a trumpet in a different key. This also a good 'leveling device' for intonation; playing their parts, for example, on a C-trumpet can point out rather quickly whether or not they're using their slides for the low concert B's and C's.

I own a Jupiter slide trumpet, and I do take issue with whether or not the horn is a 'novelty' instrument. The issue is, you actually have to learn the slide positions. The horn is not remarkably made, and it has some problems being in tune with itself. I made a few adjustments to mine, and have settled in on a mouthpiece which I think makes it work best.

My answer, as someone who has never met you, heard your band and students, etc, etc: The Jupiter can be a fun instrument to have, if you're interested in playing soprano trombone, but it's distinctly a different instrument from a trumpet, and is quite likely to gather dust unless you have or make a use for it.

-db

6. Sterling

Oct 22, 2007
    Marcellus, NY
    Thanks for the info. I already bring in my C trumpet as well as a Keyed Bugle from 1830. That throws them for a loop! I've already found that the slide trombone is a bit nasal sounding. It sounds better with a V shaped cup. Danbassin, I agree with you that the horn is not remarkably made, but for the price, it is acceptable.

7. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    I have one, its fun, but very close positions on the slide, and not a practical horn. Novelty is the best fit as a description of it, it is good for a smile. And if that gets the kids "into" playing, go for it. I suppose it is not a need, but a want.

8. brian.hess

brian.hess New Friend

Mar 13, 2011
    Port Orchard, Washington
    What's wrong with your student's wanting to watch what you do as you play? They are going to learn the fingerings one way or another, so what's the point of playing with them if they can't see your fingers? You can always stop playing with them and guide their eyes back to the page anyway. Do you give your lessons in groups as sectionals or do you do one on one?

Brian

9. Sterling

Oct 22, 2007
    Marcellus, NY
    I have no problem with students watching me for fingerings during the first month or so of beginning lessons. After that, they need to start transfering fingerings to notes on the page. I teach lesson groups of 3 to 10. I also like to play a different keyed trumpet to see which student notices first. It's a nice teaching moment to show students different horns and how they sound.

10. Sterling

Oct 22, 2007
    Marcellus, NY
    Oops! Second part of the question. I play along with my students for security, pitch(partial!), and tone production. Sometimes, we do call and response, duets, or just playing in unison.