Jupiter Tribune 1010S Trumpet

Discussion in 'Horns' started by cornetmike, Nov 14, 2004.

1. cornetmike

cornetmike New Friend

Nov 12, 2004
    Hemet, California
    Does anyone have firsthand knowledge of Jupiter's, (don't laugh), pro trumpet with the two tunable bells? I recall some pro singing its praises at TPIN some time ago. I'm in desperate need of a pro trumpet but can't afford over $1000. :? At $800, the Jupiter seems like a good deal, but it might be too good to be true.. I thank you in advance! :D

warm regards, cornetmike

Two reasons I play: Louis Armstrong, Al Hirt!! :)

2. bigaggietrumpet

bigaggietrumpet Mezzo Forte User

Jan 23, 2004
    Nazareth, PA
    I can't say that I've tried that particular model, but my dad owns a Jupiter, and no, I wouldn't do it the honor of calling it a trumpet. I do know that Jupiter retooled their factory not too long ago, and their quality seems to have gone up some since.

My advice is to check eBay. Find an Olds Studio, and you're set, worked for me, anyway 8)

3. MUSICandCHARACTER

MUSICandCHARACTER Forte User

Jan 31, 2004
    Newburgh, Indiana
    Hemet, CA?

I used to teach there back in 89 and 90 (extension courses for Azusa Pacific University). Anyway, back to trumpets. The new Jupiters are a hugh step forward from the old ones. I think if you wanted to invest $1000 in a new horn, a Jupiter would not be a bad choice.

Some other choices:

The K series from Kanstul. Listed as an intermediate horn, it really is an inexpensive professional horn.

The ZeuS Guarnerius. A lot of horn for around $1000.

The Kanstul CCT 900. A professional horn for just over $1000

Holton ST550S MF Admiral Bb Trumpet is new and under $1000

The Getzen Capri is under $1000 and a lot of horn

Dillions has a lot of great used horns for under a $1000
    http://www.dillonmusic.com/used_instruments/usedinstruments.asp?instrument=Used Bb Trumpets

Lastly, I would consider a Kanstul Colosseum trumpet. Big bore, big bell trumpet with a great sound for around the $1000 price (I would be glad to help you with any Kanstul horn).

Many great used options abound, but you have to be fairly eBay savvy to find them.

4. mheffernen5

mheffernen5 Pianissimo User

5. cornetmike

cornetmike New Friend

Nov 12, 2004
    Hemet, California
    Blessing "Artist" ML-1

Yeah, I know Blessing has a bad rep, but the ML-1 "pro" model has 25 more-or-less glowing reviews at woodwind & brasswind. $650 seems too good to be true for a pro horn. Is it?? As usual, I thank you in advance!

warm regards, cornetmike

p.s. Blessing's version of the Getzen Eterna cornet seems like a good deal, too. :roll:

6. Heavens2kadonka

Heavens2kadonka Forte User

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    Bleh! Never heard or played on a single Blessing that has ever impressed me. If you want a good-priced horn, look up "Vintage Trumpet" on ebay. Old horns are great because they are cheap, AND they still compete with horns of today!

Look for an Olds Ambassador, or any vinateg OLDS trumpets. In fact, theres an Olds Super up for auction on ebay RIGHT now. I'd look into it, if you've got the funds. For less than the cost of a new intermediate horn, you'd get a heckuva horn...

Van

7. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    A bit off the primary topic, but isn't that Getzen Eterna cornet "look alike" one of the horns that is made in China? I thought I saw that one on one of the websites for a firm that deals with that "stuff"......

Or has another chunk of grey hair just fallen onto the floor?

8. bigaggietrumpet

bigaggietrumpet Mezzo Forte User

Jan 23, 2004
    Nazareth, PA
    I can vouch for that!! 8)

9. MUSICandCHARACTER

MUSICandCHARACTER Forte User

Jan 31, 2004
    Newburgh, Indiana
    Of course, a vintage horn can have some unexpected problems. Plating gone from the valves, dings, dents, scratches, bad lacquer, heavy lacquer, red rot, etc. You have to be smart about eBay and vintage horns. Make sure the seller has a return policy and a high rating. PayPal insurance is another good thing.

That is one thing about buying a used horn from a store ... they have a reputation to uphold and often have great return policies (may cost you some shipping, but a small price to pay for the security).

New horns can also be returned -- AND they come with a warranty. Some advantages for the extra dollars. But no doubt about it, there are some fine horns on eBay if you know what you are doing.

The top end Blessings seem to be pretty decent horns. They and Jupiter concentrate on the beginner's market for the most part, but their upper level horns are really starting to become pretty good players for the money. The problem is, for a few more dollars you can get some great horns.

Jim

10. Tulsaband

Tulsaband New Friend

Mar 31, 2004
    Tulsa, OK
    I think a horn that should be added to this list to "give a test drive" would be the B&S 3137 Challenger I. I KNOW you can get these under $1000 in silver with case and mouthpiece. This has been the best horn we have found for the money. I agree that 700 Series Getzens are also a great buy! Just my 2 cents...

Ceth Barnett
    Tulsa Band Instruments
    www.tulsaband.com