Jupiter Tribune XO

Discussion in 'Horns' started by mheffernen5, Apr 24, 2004.

1. mheffernen5

mheffernen5 Pianissimo User

Someone in my last forum recomended Jupiter Tribune XO and I was wondering if anyone on here owned one and could tell me about it or if I should just forget it and stick with well-known name brands like Bach etc...

2. bigaggietrumpet

bigaggietrumpet Mezzo Forte User

Jan 23, 2004
    Nazareth, PA
    Ok, first, Jupiter is a very well known brand

Second, while I've never played one, I've only had bad experiences with Jupiter horns. Some have had good some bad. YOU JUST HAVE TO PLAY ONE and see if you like it or not.

3. mheffernen5

So, I don't think I am interested in it anymore. I have seen better. :D

4. trptbenge

trptbenge Pianissimo User

Jan 15, 2004
    Atlanta
    I have played a couple of them and I thought they were very good horns . However, you have a major problem. The resale value on the horns is very low. Jupiter is definitely improving their quality but they still nered to be consistent.

Mike

5. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    George Ayala aka trjeam from the Trumpet Herald owns a Jupiter Tribune XO. I have actually heard some pretty good things about them.

I think that price was an issue for George when he bought his, but I don't think that he was opposed to waiting and spending more for something different if he thought that was the best way to go. George is pretty serious about his playing and that leads me to believe that the Jupiter Tribune XO is probably a pretty decent horn.

I'd like to try one out sometime to see for myself.

6. mheffernen5

It's me...I only wanted to ask is Jupiter's quality worse or better than Bach?

7. dcstep

dcstep Mezzo Piano User

Nov 27, 2003
    Denver
    Speaking only of assembly quality and based on the six or so samples I've tried, I'd put the quality between Bach and Yamaha, which is very good.

I wouldn't be too worried about resale IF you bought it right. The street price is considerably below Bach and Yamaha, so you start out ahead. If you're going to buy based on resale being a top priority, then buy only used horns. It's hard to go wrong with a mint YTR-738 Yamaha for $600 or so, BUT it's hard to find one. Still, you need to buy right.

Dave

8. jblo

jblo New Friend

Mar 13, 2004
    Central PA
    I haven't tried the XO's but I had a Tribune 1200 for about 5 years and was very pleased overall with the horn. I bought it used an I think it was between 10 and 12 years old when I sold it. I know people had problems with the early Jupiters but I really couldn't complain about mine; it served me very well. The valves were very smooth and tight even after five years of fairly hard use.

That said, my concerns aren't as much with playability as with durability. I sold mine because the leadpipe was covered with red rot - so much so that you could look down the inside of the leadpipe and see big bumps, especially close to the receiver. It started to get a bit of an airy sound to it I think because of disruption in the airflow down the leadpipe. I actually like that horn enough that I was considering putting a new leadpipe on it.

So...I not sure I personally would spend the money for a new one, but I would consider picking one up used again, especially as was mentioned earlier, resale value is relatively low. It's been quite some time since they made the horn that I had and maybe they are using better quality brass now. I don't know.

9. dcstep

dcstep Mezzo Piano User

Nov 27, 2003
    Denver
    The new XO Tribune is a high quality horn, with great construction. I wouldn't compare the new horns to production from ten or more years ago.

Dave

10. jblo

jblo New Friend

Mar 13, 2004
    Central PA
    That's basically what I was trying to say: its not the quality of construction or design that I am unsure about. It's more the material and you can't really judge the durability of the material in the showroom. And that may well have changed - Jupiter has made significant strides in improving the quality of their horns.

BTW - that reversed second valve slide is cool!