Jupiter

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by willbarber, Dec 12, 2009.

1. willbarber

willbarber Piano User

Nov 22, 2008
    Medina, NY
    I recently arranged Jupiter (by Holst) for Marching Band winds, as a warmup.
    I made it into a video for YouTube. I know it's a little fast, and the balance on the MIDI is horrible, but if you have Finale 2006 or later (or Reader), I can send you the file, which I balanced correctly. I can also send you a PDF version if you want. Just email me at the address found in my profile, and put "Jupiter sheet music" in the title so I don't delete it.

YouTube - Jupiter Arrangement

2. willbarber

willbarber Piano User

Nov 22, 2008
    Medina, NY
    Please watch this, and tell me what you think, good or bad!
    If this goes over well, I might make videos of other one's I've arranged.

3. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    As a recent comeback player, I don't have a lot of experience on which to base a judgment. I am not familiar with the original so I can't compare your arrangement. I had difficulty trying to picture all of the band parts. If you did it for a band, do you have the scores for all of the different instruments? I could send a link the director of the community band where I play and see if he has an opinion of whether he could use it as a warmup for the band. I will let you know when I have a response from him.

4. willbarber

willbarber Piano User

Nov 22, 2008
    Medina, NY
    I based it off some free sheet music I found online.
    It's from Gustav Holst's "The Planets" which is an orchestral piece. Jupiter is my favorite movement. The sheet music I had was piano. Most parts were just arranged off that, but I figured out the chords and made up the clarinet part, just for some variety. So those are all the parts I have.

I have to be a little biased for Jupiter, because a while back, before I was in marching band, a section leader arranged it as a trumpet warmup, which I also did again, and lost the sheet music. So it's kind of tradition.