Just A Bad Day?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Steve Bales, May 3, 2013.

1. raif

raif New Friend

Feb 26, 2009
    I have also found that when you are on vacation or otherwise unable to do your daily routine, if you do nothing else then at least do long tones. You can do them quietly and it really helps keep your chops from going completely into the gutter. Also when coming back from a rest period, long tones help build the muscles back up without hurting them.

2. Comeback

Comeback Forte User

Jun 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Welcome to TM, Steve. You've received fine advice. My solution when traveling is to take a trumpet and a practice mute. I seem to be able to find a little time to at least do something to stay in shape nearly every day without messing up our trip. But mainly relax and simply practice when you can without stressing over missing a day here and there. Best wishes to you in your comeback!
    Jim

3. shooter

shooter Piano User

Jan 12, 2007
    VA
    I play poorly when I haven't drank enough water. I saw a video by Adam Rapa some time back and he was talking about the importance of being well hydrated. It definitely makes a difference with me.

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Not me. I take my mouthpiece with me on most trips, and play for an hour into a towel. I play my standard practice routine. When I get back from the trip, I am stronger than the day I left. In this case, throwing in the towel is a very good thing. On drive trips and short flights, I do take my Ambassador with the Yamaha Silent Mute. That works out great too.

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    True, but some strength will be lost with just a long tone routine. Do a routine practice work-out to maintain.

Again true, but after the long tones, get back to your routine as soon as possible.

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Get on a scale. Weight yourself. If you are under 3% weight loss, you are not dehydrated enough for lip tissue to feel such a change. This water loss is a clinical fact. Tissues do not loose significant amounts of water until 6% weight loss is achieved which we then call mild dehydration, and at 9% severe. Medical and physiological fact. If you are "feeling it" that perception is in an organ just above the lips, on the other side of the skull base.

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Now in defense of Adam Rapa's reputation, I am betting he was talking not about hydration in general, but keeping the lips moist. THIS IS a different animal. And for this task to be 100% achieved, again, the Lord Above gave us the means. It's called licking your lips periodically. How periodical? Usually it subconscious. You don't even know your are doing it. But you do have the ability to gain cognitive control over this task, and when you "think" you are feeling dry, you lick you lips. Another medical fact, the positive likelihood ratio of the lip exam as defining dehydration (in the non-diabetic) is around 2 (useless).

8. -C-

-C- Pianissimo User

Jul 13, 2011
    This place is amazing.

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Here is a good link on eMedicine that describes dehydration. In individuals >10 kg (us) there is good correlation of certain findings to dehydration. Notice that in the table in this section, mucous membranes (lips) are normal with under 3% dehydration; which is my point above. What we "feel" is really dry lips (not technically dehydration). Sure, drinking water cannot hurt, but what is most important is that lips are licked to moisten the external surface. Lib balm will help keep moisture in longer, but are themselves NOT moisturizers. The tongue is still needed to like and moisten the lips.

Medscape: Medscape Access

10. shooter

shooter Piano User

Jan 12, 2007
    VA
    I'll try to find and share the link. He was talking about yellow vs clear pee. I certainly hope he was not talking about lip licking. ;-)