just a cool thing that happened

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by coolerdave, Mar 17, 2011.

Tags:
  1. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    I have been going to the same Starbucks before for about 5 years now and consequently get to know the kids that work there.. I mentioned that I was picking up the trumpet and one of the kids there said he had 2 trumpets he hadn't touched in years (years for a 25yo is probably 6)
    I told him I was looking for a horn as I really hate my Bach1530. He said they were student horns and he would heavily dcount them... so he takes a few pictures of them with his cell and shows them to me..
    one is a Bach 37 Elkhart ... and the other a Yamaha 2330 ...
    I probably could have gotten both of them for $400 .. but Karma ..
    I told him what they were worth ( really worth) and made his day... and told him that I really couldn't afford what they were worth right now.. but I could help him sell them. and don't feel bad about going for the $$$$
    the cool part ..
    We worked out a deal ..
    Karma...

Last edited: Mar 17, 2011
  2. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    Always best to do the right thing...even if it costs you a few more dollars.

Well done.

3. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    Great story, well done Dave.

4. jongorrie

jongorrie Pianissimo User

May 9, 2010
    Nice one - the power of good karma :)

5. larry tscharner

larry tscharner Forte User

Apr 30, 2010
    dubuque iowa
    Great story Dave. Had you taken advantage of the kid you never would be able to play with a good feeling about yourself and even if you could cover that up to others, you couldnt cover it up to you. Kind of like having a sore toe. It will make you walk funny and pretty soon your other hip will be sore, then your back will be stiff, then you will fall down, and on, and on till you have to stop and get right with yourself. Good job of doing whats right in the eyes of the Lord. The old testiment is full of examples of this, both good and bad. Best wishes.

6. Kayak Cruzer

Kayak Cruzer New Friend

Mar 17, 2011
    Deepest, darkest Missouri
    Ya gotta be able to sleep at night; what goes around comes around and picks up speed

7. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    A butterfly flaps its wings in the jungle ........ . Well done.

8. songbook

songbook Piano User

Apr 25, 2010
    The lesson you taught this young man is invaluable. You showed him that integrity is more important than making a fast buck and pulling the wool over somones eyes. Bravo.

9. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    Thanks guys.. it's a fun story... hope you got a smile out of it.

10. Chuck Cox

Chuck Cox Forte User

Oct 3, 2008
    Cary NC
    9 months ago I advertised a 70's Martin Imperial for $75 on Craigslist....and ended up trading it for a 1949 Martin Committee Deluxe complete with original case. The Committee had stuck valves ( bad ) and all the slides of course. I sent it to Larry Mizzel in Hagerstown, MD and had it stripped and freed up for $180 including shipping. And I didn't feel bad at all since he didn't want to spend anything repairing the Committee. To make this deal of a lifetime better....I talked to Chris Botti at the signing table about playing etc....and he asked if I had my horn with me. I handed it to him..he liked the valve action and asked me where I wanted him to sign it ! I haven't been able to see where he has ever signed a trumpet before ( googled ). Does anyone else know?