Just a practicing comment...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by VentureScore, Jul 3, 2014.

1. VentureScore

VentureScore Pianissimo User

Jan 24, 2013
    Anchorage, AK
    Some days- my horns and I get along GREAT. We play together for hours and hours, never feeling like either one of wants to stop.
    Some days- it feels like my horn is seriously ticked off at me, and we're in a fight....... It always wins :dontknow:
    I just needed to throw the thought out there- to the only group of people I know that would actually understand :-)

2. Bwanabass

Bwanabass Mezzo Piano User

Jan 20, 2013
    Syracuse, NY
    I feel your pain. There are fantastic days and there are days that make a person want to crawl under a rock. Don't give up!

3. VentureScore

VentureScore Pianissimo User

Jan 24, 2013
    Anchorage, AK
    Never giving up, or surrendering.
    On tough days, I pull out my Arbans, and pay the "classic and popular melodies" to try and tame the beast :-)

4. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    If I don't feel it's right, I avoid the fight. My instrument will still be there waiting for me later.

5. JackTheMusician

JackTheMusician Pianissimo User

Aug 14, 2013
    UK
    I get the days to! I think we all do, just keep going even though we all know how hard it is!

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Consistency comes from years of investment with the brain turned on.

If we are sticking to a decent routine, if we take the small steps to continue improvement, if we NEVER beat ourselves up unnecessarily, we develop a base level that hardy ever drops below "fun".

If we aimlessly doodle about, if we play till the chops give out, if we don't practice enough stuff that isn't working yet, we cannot expect mind over matter to be possible.

I simply do not have the bad days that are mentioned here. I have no superhuman talent or natural ability that makes everything easy. What I do have is a great daily routine that works and I use it religiously. That more than anything else keeps the harder days in tow.

7. JackTheMusician

JackTheMusician Pianissimo User

Aug 14, 2013
    UK
    ooooh, could I ask what your routine consists of?

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I have posted it here at least 50 times (search on "daily routine" or Warmup or Warmdown), but it consists of my circle of breath, scales, easy tunes like from the hymnbook. It has no technical studies, chop builders or repertory. Those are reserved for practice sessions that are completely separate and occur on days when I am not performing.

9. Branson

Branson Piano User

Jan 16, 2011
  10. Klaus_O

Klaus_O New Friend

Jan 8, 2010
    Saskatchewan, Canada