Just a question that popped in to my brain

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by RobertSlotte, Nov 28, 2008.

1. RobertSlotte

RobertSlotte Pianissimo User

Jul 7, 2008
    Finland
    I guess not many trumpeters are going to answer this but I will give it a try anyway :lol:

how many have heard this: keep the MP pressure of the upper lip and direct the pressure that is needed to the lower lip?
    I guess almost everyone have heard it yes. :D

Now: how about trumpetplayers that play in a way that the LOWER lip is the vibrating part as oppsit to most of the players where the upper lip is vibrating (YES there are those...I have heard about it...:-P) But what about them; would the opposite be good for them, in other words: keep the pressure on the UPPER lip?

Just a thought, dont kill me if you don´t find it interesting ;-)

2. Rich Wetzel

Rich Wetzel Pianissimo User

Dec 27, 2003
    Tacoma, WA
    I have never really thought about it that way... to me the bottom lip just seems much more able for most folks to take a little more abuse, and therefore is a good place to anchor whereas the top lip for most people is the more easily bruised or swollen when pressure is applied. Ideally no matter how we play keeping it light and relaxed is always a good thing, lol...

Last edited: Nov 28, 2008
  3. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
  4. TheNigerian

TheNigerian New Friend

Nov 2, 2008
    Akron
    That is the way I play. I used to play with the upper lip vibrating and the bottom lip stationary, but then I broke my nose. After I broke my nose each time I would play with the top lip vibrating it would make me sneeze -- it was really weird. I played for 7 hours for a whole month of the summer before my senior year in high school (3 1/2 years now, yikes) and I've been there since. It slots so much easier for me.

Any other questions?

5. RobertSlotte

Jul 7, 2008
    Finland
    this is interesting....becouse even though I have played a long time I´m not sure wich lip is wibrating for me. If I buz my lips without the mp. and then put a finger on the top lip the sound continues couse the bottom lip vibrates...ok so I´m then thinking that my lower lip is doing the job. But then when I put my finger on the bottom lip..THE SOUND SITLL continues...becouse now the upperlip is vibrating. Wich lip is doing the most job if I do not disturb any of the lips with my finger?....I do not know....

6. RobertSlotte

Jul 7, 2008
    Finland
    ahhhh so if both lips vibrate...then...why should I keep my main pressure on the bottom lip?? If feeling around with my fingers I find nothing that tells me that my upper lip is more sensitive or will more easy get damage.

7. MFfan

MFfan Fortissimo User

Sep 13, 2006
    Kalamazoo, Michigan
    Both lips have been vibrating well over 50 yrs of playing, wouldn't have it any other way.:thumbsup:

8. RobertSlotte

Jul 7, 2008
    Finland
    yet one can read in so many trumpet books that if you put the finger on the top lip the sound STOPS..becouse it is the upper lip that is doing the vibrations. Hm...Im confused :)

9. RobertSlotte

Jul 7, 2008
    Finland
    I thinkand have always had this oppinion that many Trumpet authors is too quickly writing books and publishing things that is not 100%

10. flugelgirl

flugelgirl Forte User

Jan 20, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    Unless you are having problems, sometimes it can be damaging to your playing to think about it too much. Just put the horn on your face and PLAY! I actually had a student that spent so much time thinking about what he had to do to produce a sound that he had to prepare to put the horn on the face for a ridiculous amount of time! Teaching him to just put the horn on his face and play without all the prep made a huge difference in his playing, and made him a much happier person. I have also tended to overthink things occasionally - usually giving myself a lot of anxiety I don't need. It works better for me to just focus inward and breathe, and let my body do the work I've already trained it to do. :)