Just a question that popped in to my brain

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by RobertSlotte, Nov 28, 2008.

1. bigtiny

bigtiny Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2005
    both lips vibrate and for most people, I would guess that the pressure is about even between upper and lower lip, at least that's the ideal. The idea that one lip 'should' have more pressure or that only one lip vibrates is a pretty strange notion. I've been playing for 40 years and I've never met a trumpet player who only vibrates one lip....

bigtiny

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Both lips flap, but in different amounts. The lower lip is generally thicker, that is why we can apply somewhat more pressure to it.

I agree with flugelgirl. None of this stuff will help make anyone a better trumpet player. The more we start focussing on this muscle and that muscle, the further away we get from this musical line and that musical line. There are many lost careers to the intellectual crowd. They haven't figured out that we are trying to play music, not create an embouchure. In my 30+ years of teaching, I have only taught 3 embouchure changes. Every other student got on track by relearning to breathe (yes, we all breathed correctly as young children).

The circle of breath has been the answer for all of my students.

3. RobertSlotte

RobertSlotte Pianissimo User

Jul 7, 2008
    Finland
    heh..bigtiny has not been reading so much about ebouchures I see...And maby that is just GOOD :)

4. bigtiny

bigtiny Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2005
    You're right....I just put the thing in my mouth, breathe, blow, and move my fingers. That seems to get the job done..... =:-)

bigtiny

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    99% of what you read on embouchures is trash anyway (especially internet advice). That last decent 1% only works on about 1/3rd of those who try it.

Maybe it would make more sense to read about J.S.Bach or Sammy Nestico instead?

6. Liblip

Liblip New Friend

Mar 29, 2008
    I thought I'd seen it all in embouchures until I met my current teacher. He's a 60-year-old classical-jazz-funk-rock professional trumpeter, vocalist, and pianist who wore braces as a kid. He literally plays with one lip, sort of devouring the 7C with the upper lip. He plays like Gabriel. Go figure. -Ed

7. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    It depends on the way you play. I anchor my mpc on my top lip. some players anchor on the bottom lip. Play the way that feels natural for you that gets the best results.

8. oldlips48

oldlips48 Piano User

Mar 1, 2007
    How many pro baseball players do you see that have exactly the same batting stance? All different means to the same end.....

9. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    I never think about how I put the trumpet to my mouth and I never think about pressure. I don't think I use much pressure and never worry about which lip gets it.