just alitle confused

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by jazzmaster, Sep 26, 2008.

1. jazzmaster

jazzmaster New Friend

Sep 26, 2008
    earth
    So about just under one year I got a nice Getzen Eterna Sevrinson model. The Trumpet is great could not love it more. But It was used and It came with two tuning slides and I have no clue why. I saw on the getzen site somthing about a jazz tuning slide?

And if anyone knows where to get a gold trim kit for it that would help.
    It is an older on if that matters

2. bilboinsa

bilboinsa Piano User

Jan 24, 2006
    San Antonio, TX
    Usually, a tuning slide with a pure semi-circle shape has less resistance than one with a "D" shape. Whether you want to use either for jazz is up to you.

Have fun.

3. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.
    In theory the rounded slide is supposed to have less back pressure,resistance that the more square cornered slide.

OLDLOU>>

4. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

Yeah, the two tuning slides create different resistances and sounds (play them back to back and you'll feel it)
    There are a bunch of companies that sell trim kits, the first that comes to mind that sells them is picket brass, but I don't have any experience with them

5. nieuwguyski

nieuwguyski Forte User

Aug 9, 2004
    Santa Cruz County, CA
    If it's an old Getzen Severinsen and the two tuning slides look the same, then one of them is an ML bore slide and the other is a tiny bit smaller. I vaguely remember bore measurements of .460" and .458".

6. Pete

Pete Piano User

Nov 17, 2007
    Massachusetts
    John is correct. The two slides are slighly different in diameter.

Pete

7. jazzmaster

jazzmaster New Friend

Sep 26, 2008
    earth
    nice thanx. What one should I use for jazz band?

8. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    You can play test them to either another person or a recording device and choose based upon the sound. You won't be able to tell much difference in sound from behind the horn, though you may be able to detect a difference in "feel". Or try one for a full rehearsal, and the other for the next, and see if one tires you more than the other.
    Depending on your experience, you may not be able to distinguish between them.

9. jazzmaster

jazzmaster New Friend

Sep 26, 2008
    earth
    thank you all for your help!! it is a old horn and they do look the same, I will try and see how they feel

10. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    For a trim kit, why not contact Getzen and see what they have to say? Trim kits, however, don't make you play any better.