just coming back-new olds special cornet

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by lousta52, Aug 23, 2011.

1. lousta52

lousta52 New Friend

Nov 30, 2009
    NJ
    Just started playing again after a long lay off. Ordered the sister to my trumpet, an olds special cornet. I am so excited, need help on a mpc though, I have been playing a 7cw on the trumpet, but I want a deeper tone on the cornet. Ideas? Thanks, Lou

2. SteveB

SteveB Mezzo Piano User

Nov 15, 2008
    Prescott Valley, AZ
    Hey Lou, welcome to the forum. And, congrats on finding a companion piece to your Olds Special trumpet.

If you're pretty comfortable with the 7CW that you're using on the trumpet, you might want to stay consistent during your "comeback" return and go with a similar/identical MP for your cornet.

After your embrochure starts falling into place again, then you could look into some deeper (and even wider) cups.

But for now, concentrate on getting the lips back up to snuff.

Good luck to ya!! :thumbsup:

3. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Hey, Lousta52, welcome back. There are a lot of us returning players here -we call ourselves the 'comeback contingent'. Some of us have had layoffs of over 50 years so if yours was shorter than that, consider yourself lucky. I hope your chops return quickly. If you haven't already, join a group or community band. The trumpet is a social instrument and doesn't much like to be played alone in a woodshed out back.

Congratulations on your choice of instruments. As you might be able to tell, the Special is one of my favorites. I have samples of all configurations of the trumpet but only 1 cornet - a 1956 bi-color model. It is a great player. If you search for 'Special' on this forum, you will find many threads about it and some with posts from me explaining why the Special is a true professional-grade instrument and not a step-up/intermediate as some think. So, you have a pair of great-playing, beautiful instruments. Keep us posted on how the comeback is progressing.

4. SteveB

SteveB Mezzo Piano User

Nov 15, 2008
    Prescott Valley, AZ
    Ditto. Matter of fact, when your cornet arrives, post up a family photo of the two siblings. :-)

5. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Welcome, lousta52. I am a Special fan as well, but only have trumpets. I DO have lots of cornets, incl. a '68 Ambassador (which I never play). I LOVE cornets!!!

For your cornet I recommend a Stork 4a or 4a+ in the short shank config. Cup diameter a wee bit bigger than your trumpet piece, and lots of depth for a full, rich, brown sugar sound.

And yes, we want photos!

6. study888

study888 Mezzo Forte User

Aug 22, 2005
    Darlington S.C.
    Hello,welcome back. What year make is your Olds Special Cornet? Once you get your chops stronger. A Kanstul CG Personel Cornet mouthpiece should give enough warmness/broader sound to your Cornet. The comfortable rim should feel similar to your 7CW Cornet M.P. rim.

The Kanstul CGP has a deep V cup and a more open throat bore. Will make the cornet a little more free blowing. Being your cornet is a American long Bell cornet. That may be as deep a V cup you can go with.

If your Olds Special Cornet is same model type and make as your Olds Special Trumpet. Say with a Bach 10 1/2C type M.P.,may sound some what similar to your Olds Special Trumpet.

You may already know this. The earlier first make Olds Special Cornets were all Yellow Brass made. The mix metal composition ones came out later in the 60's.

All this info. is on the Olds Central internet site. Enjoy your come back on your Olds Special. Local Church or Community Bands are great places to ease back into a playing group.

7. lousta52

lousta52 New Friend

Nov 30, 2009
    NJ
    Thanks everyone, My trumpet dates to 61 or so and the cornet(if the serial i have is correct) is a 55. Trumpet is a tricolor,cornet is dual. Thanks for the mpc ideas I will take advice and run. I cant find a community band, used to be a community jazz band but no longer. I'll have to find another once i get some kind of chops back. After 16yrs its slow going, no endurance at all....

8. Jackson Arch

Jackson Arch Piano User

Mar 6, 2010
    Oklahoma
    Welcome aboard, lousta52. This is a great forum; excellent source of advice, information, and, most importantly, inspiration from a bunch of pros. I have been in the "comeback mode" as well for almost a year and a half...not as successful as those in prior posts above, but working on it. Did not play for nearly 30 years. Patience has been my greatest challenge, but it does gradually get better. Don't let it frustrate you. And yes, endurance is a tough part of that. Best wishes with the Specials!

9. Jackson Arch

Jackson Arch Piano User

Mar 6, 2010
    Oklahoma

Last edited: Aug 24, 2011
  10. Jackson Arch

Jackson Arch Piano User

Mar 6, 2010
    Oklahoma
    My wife might not agree with you on that...:shhh: