Just Curious Trumpet Performance Degrees.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by bach37, Mar 13, 2012.

1. bach37

bach37 Pianissimo User

Dec 1, 2011
    As the post title says, Just curious. I don't want to stir up a hornets nest. Just was wondering about the differance between the Undergrad, Masters, DMA in performance. First what does it take to achieve those degrees. Second are they worth getting. Is it worth stopping after Bachelor degree or move on to masters. Or stopping at a masters and not pursuing a doctorate. Just curious about what it takes and pros and cons of each.

2. Rusty_Restorer

Rusty_Restorer Pianissimo User

Feb 24, 2012
    Atlanta
    Pretty much a Doctors degree is needed if you teach or do research at a University or college. Master's degrees - well they are just more of the same as undergrad degrees. Masters are sort of a weeding out process for a doctoral program or to make you poorer having to pay off more student loans.

As far as being a performing artist - nothing beats the shed. Ask Van Halen and others about this. In the book the Tipping Point, there was a line drawn at 10,000 hours of practice. Before that book there was some pretty good research in exercise physiology comparing musicians who won competitions. Turns out it was the hours of practice, a pretty good teacher and having a good music IQ. Turns out humans have 7 types of IQ's. Intelligence test for the most part only test for two (applied language knowledge and applied logic knowledge). The others are kinetic use of your body (think great dancers or athletes), music and three that deal with emotional intelligence. - Hope this helps.

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    After years of watching this, I realized that players that left the educational institutions with:

Associates are because you don't know yet.
    Bachelors degrees are because you HAVE TO.
    Masters because you WANT TO.
    Doctorates because you can't not (or have more money than sense).

This has nothing to do with quality of character. For someone wanting to be a performer, they are essentially gigging the whole time that they are studying. If they are not connected, no degree is going to help.

When I interview potential employees (IT sector), I discover that there are questions worth asking:

Associates and Bachelor: why did you study what you studied?

Masters: Why do you feel that the bachelors wasn't enough?

Doctorate: What makes you think that we are looking for academics?

Granted, for certain sectors - like medicine, the doctorate is necessary to get the routine and background to minimize the risk to the patient. For many other disciplines, the additional "formality" may or may not be an advantage.

4. AKtrumpet

AKtrumpet Piano User

Jun 4, 2010
    Alaska
    Rowuk,

Can you explain what you mean here a bit more? Do you mean that the player pursuing the Doctorate does so because they are so compelled by the trumpet and learning the art of trumpet that they have no choice?

5. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    As far as it being "worth it", investigate the players you want to emulate and see what level of education they have and if there is any correlation between the two. Many people over look the fact that the field of education is a business and they need your money to continue. Educational institutions spend millions on advertising to get you to spend your money with them and not the other guy. A degree of any sort does not guarantee success. I am not against education (paying for kids in college now). You will have to play a lot to get those degrees so that is always a good thing.

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I know I may be running the risk of ticking off some of the physicians here, but I do not think this is true. There are masters degree nursing students that I think do MUCH BETTER work a getting to the routine care and background health provision of our patients AND still minimize risk AND enhance potential. Why... because they (nurses) really are gifted in the art of listening. We as musicians can learn from this... We as physicians can REALLY learn from this.

BUT rowuk's pont is well appreciated, experience in performance comes from playing... a lot... not from the letters that come AFTER the name. Woodshedding IS the learning lab...

tobylou8 likes this.
  7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Pros and Cons of Music Degrees... My observations at Wright State University. Master degree professors are treated like nomads. If they do not do EXACTLY as their Chair says, they are history, within 6-12 months. Period. It is so sad that such a bureaucratic tenure track university system has such a hold over developing talent and I mean REAL talent. The PhD here at WSU gets the favors, gets to teach the better courses, has more security, gets to go through the tenure system. The Masters degree professors really have no chance to develop a career of an institution of choice. IF you REALLY REALLY want to go into an academic career, and have the desire to get a full time position WITH BENEFITS... the PhD is unfortunately, the only way to go... AND this IS unfortunate.

8. Chuck Cox

Chuck Cox Forte User

Oct 3, 2008
    Cary NC
    I'd like to know the educational background of some of the successful trumpet players. I think Al Hirt studied/graduated? at The Cincinnatti Conservatory of Music. Miles Davis attended Juliard for about 4 months. I don't know if there is a pattern of formal education or education at all with some of the greats. It could be that 40 years ago college wasn't popular or likely available to poorer artists.

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I believe Chris Botti went to Indiana University and from what I can find on Google made it into his senior year, but it does not appear he graduated as I believe he decided to go professional as a performer before formally finishing his degree. Randy Brecker did graduate from Indiana University (I believe along with his brother Michael).

10. Chuck Cox

Chuck Cox Forte User

Oct 3, 2008
    Cary NC
    Yup G, I believe Chris' focus was music at Indiana too. Chris says it helped him having great music (trumpet) instructors too ( from his interview ). Miles saw $ signs gigging instead of college. Both their families had college money for them.