Just Curious Trumpet Performance Degrees.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by bach37, Mar 13, 2012.

1. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    The group Chicago was comprised of mostly music guys from DePaul. Degrees? Don't know. Successful? DUH!!!

Last edited: Mar 14, 2012
  2. richtom

richtom Forte User

Dec 7, 2003
    Bud Herseth's degree is in Mathematics.
    Today's world is quite different.
    I have a well educated friend who explains degrees this way. It it cleaned up for the forum.
    BS = Bull S***. MS = More S***. PhD = Piled Higher and Deeper.
    Great MUSICIANS work.
    RT.

3. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    +1!!!

4. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    Get a MusEd Bachelors to teach Jr High & H.S. Band
    Get a Jazz Studies Performace Bachelors to work at Starbucks or Applebees

Get a Masters degree to break in the entry level teaching college classes that the PhD's don't want.
    A Masters in anything after a MusEd degree will allow you to move up the ladder at your school district gig.
    After getting a Performance bachelors degree you go for a Masters because you have nothing else to do. (and you can keep working the night shifts at Applebees)

Get a PhD (in Music) because you haven't been able to land a serious gig yet and Applebees laid you off after you finished your Masters.
    Maybe you got a small college job but realize that there is no tenure track for you... no matter how well you play your horn! The Tenure guys treat you like a red-headed step child and get all the crap jobs and no respect at all. So you take a deep sigh, fill out ANOTHER FSAS form and apply to a few Doctoral programs. If you can't beat them... then join them. **then, after you get your PhD, and land a cool tenure track job at the college of your dreams be sure to remember to sh1t all over the big-headed masters punks. You've earned it!

Or,
    Now you are almost 30yo (or more) and finally accept you have to go get a teaching gig to make a living in music after making the semi finals 50 times in auditions but not closing the deal. Making a living with A performance Bachelors AND Masters isn't keeping gas in the Prius. Time to go get an Ed Cert and teach high school, or PhD and teach college.

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    When you go for your doctorate as a musician, the goal is NOT to get even better with the horn in the academic setting. By then you should be on par with your teachers playing if there is any hope at all.

Why continue studying? Because you don't have anything else musically lined up. If you wanted to be a schoolteacher, you are done long before and if you want to teach trumpet at university level AND do your students justice, you need some serious practical experience which is not available at the school.

My point is a doctor in music means extreme academic interests or no other options. The trumpet is seldom the reason for a doctorate.

Gary,
    of course we have underachievers everywhere. That comes out in the wash too.

I really respect all that truly better themselves, academically or through the school of hard knocks. The additional degree does NOT necessarily mean that there is one ounce of increased competence however.

6. Steve Hollahan

Steve Hollahan Pianissimo User

May 31, 2011
    Charlotte, NC
    When considering advanced degrees, it pays to consider career goals. If you are a performer a BM or BA might be sufficient, it will help when you are being considered by an orchestra or large ensemble. A Master's is good if you are considering higher education teaching/performing career. Also, you normally receive some advanced performing experience as well as a teaching experience. This can help w/ job search and advance you to a better pay scale in schools. A Doctorate is necessary to obtain a teaching job in N. Carolina, so it is necessary for a tenured position here.

I am convinced that my Master's helped me become a better player and a chance at employment in Jr. College, or other higher ed schools. But I am almost completely self taught as a repair tech and know determination gets you the farthest. Many college programs are not geared to help performers get good chops and jobs. Do a lot of research in your chosen area for employment oppurtunities.

7. Chuck Cox

Chuck Cox Forte User

Oct 3, 2008
    Cary NC
    Toby......." Sitting crossed legged on the floor....25 or 6 to 4 "

8. Haste2

Haste2 Piano User

Jun 16, 2010
    Looking at brief bios about symphony musicians, most of them seemed to have gotten a Master's degree in performance.

Nobody has mentioned that going to a school with a great music program gives you an easier opportunity to improve by constantly playing with great musicians.... rather than having to rely somewhat on luck to improve via gigs alone. That's why it is better to pay the full tuition at Northeastern University than it is to go to your local university on full scholarship.... if you're serious, that is. (I'm not serious enough, unfortunately....) Therefore, I think going to a great school for trumpet performance is worth it for most serious trumpet players. No shame in working some shifts at AppleBees in addition to your gigs to pay off the extra debt. =p

9. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    yeah, grad schools are good incubators for orchestra weenies.

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Then there is my teacher, Claudio Roditi. He is a graduate of Berkley School of Music in Boston.