Just Curious Trumpet Performance Degrees.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by bach37, Mar 13, 2012.

1. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    Chuck, I'm not sure that is quite so. Miles wanted to absorb himself into the current jazz scene. I've never read anything that implied that he dropped out of Julliard for anything other than for musical reasons, nor that for that matter, that he made much money in those years by doing so.

Such aphorisms look cute enough and roll off the tongue easily enough but are a bit disingenuous. The degrees either have value or they don't, depending on one's goals, how these degrees apply to those goals, and what the individual took away from the processes they went through in obtaining those goals. Devaluing them out of hand as in that glib quote doesn't do anyone any good, especially the OP who's looking for some constructive guidance.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2012
  2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    For someone that worked there bottom off getting the PhD, while I agree the value has been well worth it, the longer I have been in the roll of full professor, the more I am seeing the “piled on higher and deeper” components from my PhD colleagues... and yes I hope they do read this. Something happened to that passion we had when we were defending prelims, or working toward our theses defense. Then they started teaching the same thing year after year... forgot how to search the literature, and update their material, and have wound up teaching mediocrity. My job at the university is being the bull poop filter, and calling these PhD's out to dig through the deep pile they created. So as a PhD, and a well-seasoned one at that, the “piled higher and deeper” aspect (that builds only after WE get out PhDs if we are not careful) IS TRUE from my prospective!

As rowuk stated above... and is true... this will filter out... and when it does... stand back 'cause boy will it stink!

Last edited: Mar 14, 2012
  3. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Should I try to do some more?

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    The song is very much a detailed story of illicit drug use. How come no one writes a song about legit drug use? TrumpetMD, Patkins... you guys up to writing a first with me?

5. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    I have often wondered what that title meant --and so today I went looking and found this refutation of your statement: The Straight Dope: What does the Chicago lyric "25 or 6 to 4" mean?

Now as a corporate slave I am familiar with the feeling of still working after 3am and so the explanation here resonates with me.

--bumblebee

6. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    But you and all of your colleagues used those degrees to get the jobs you have, didn't you. So they did have a value.
    It's not the PhD that is full of poop. It's the people, as you have described them, who are full of poop.

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Kehaulani, your point is well taken, and as I said, in the beginning the degree has value (it did not get me my current job that I have had since 1991, the MD got me this gig), but yes it is the people that are full of poop. Once the PhD work is done, something happens to that drive that got us the degree. There is the risk of dropping back, falling off the drive, a "constipation" of the process. That happens all too often. To all us PhD's out there... lets keep it flowing!

8. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    It's "actually" about trying to write a song while performing on the road. Somebody once told me the guys in Chicago never did drugs! :lol:

9. Chuck Cox

Chuck Cox Forte User

Oct 3, 2008
    Cary NC
    Kehaulani, Yeah, there are probably multiple reasons why Miles quit Juliard. His mom didn't want him going there. She probably felt he was trying again to hook up with Charlie Parker when she said no to NY the first time. Miles went through his first months allowance tracking down Bird in NY. He ended up sharing an apt. with Bird for a year with Bird always hitting Miles up for money ( they both had a common habit that was costly ). Miles also didn't like the other trumpet players " style " at Juliard. He said it was mostly sight reading and very little improvisation which was counter to his style. He spent more time on the piano toward the end of Juliard like Dizzy recommended. I don't think Miles saw a future at Juliard and just wanted to play with the gang in NY. I read his biography by Bill Cole.

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I have it on excellent authority that this description is fairly accurate regarding how individuals cut and distribute an illegal weed. Coincidence... I don't think so, and this was after reading the posted article, either that or Robert Lamm loved using innuendo in his song writing.