Just Curious

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by commakozzi, May 4, 2008.

1. commakozzi

commakozzi Pianissimo User

Oct 30, 2007
    Georgia, USA
    Lead Mouthpiece

I feel like it might be a long while before I'm ready to play lead again, but it's definately not as far away as I once thought (if I even want to do it again anyway). However, I'm certain that I will need to find a new lead mouthpiece to do a good job. I'm comfortable with a Bach 3C for everything else. Anyone play lead out there who typically uses a 3C and has found a great lead mouthpiece to match? For example, I used to use a Schilke 10A4A occassionally. I'm guessing that a 14A4A might be closer to the 3C.

Oh, it doesn't have to be Schilke either. I'm not that familiar with Bach other than the 3C, so if there's a Bach "something", I'd be interested.

Last edited: May 4, 2008
  2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I used to play the 14A4A for lead, but can't get it to work for me anymore. It is 15 minutes of bliss then my chops swell slightly and NOTHING comes out. I now use a Monette Prana B6 Slap. It is deeper and a bit smaller in diameter than the 14A4A.

If you like the 3C, a 3D or 3E should do the trick and you are already familiar with the rim.

3. commakozzi

commakozzi Pianissimo User

Oct 30, 2007
    Georgia, USA
    Ok, thanks rowuk. It wouldn't hurt to have several choices I guess, but I'll need to develop things awhile before experimenting. I just wanted to get an idea of what to look at when I get there. An ensemble I play with right now (church orchestra) plays a pretty demanding book and I've been taking everything down an octave until I get comfortable again. Now that I've learned what I've been doing "wrong" I now feel like I'll be back up to where I was in college within the year at least... maybe much sooner. I'm having to take it very slow and easy though! It's great!

4. screamingmorris

screamingmorris Mezzo Forte User

Apr 4, 2007
    I had exactly the same problem with the 14A4A.
    Its cup is slightly too "V" and I slightly bottom out on it, so I have to use a cheap Bach 7E which has a "U" cup.

The Kanstul Comparator shows that the cup of the Monette B6 is very similar to the cup of the Bach 7E I use.
    How does a Monette Prana B6 Slap differ from a regular B6, and how do both of them differ from a Bach 7E? (cup, throat, backbore)

Of course, the most important question is, where can I get a B6 for $50? ;-)

- Morris

5. MPM

MPM Pianissimo User

Nov 10, 2003
    To answer the last question, check with Kanstul. They have many copies of the monette mpc's.

As for the original question, heck ... get a Bach 3C from Kanstul, or, try a Reeves 43M or 43C. Mouthpiece Express 'dot' com has them.

Good luck!

6. Brass crusader

Brass crusader Mezzo Piano User

Hey guys

For lead stuff, I play a Yamaha 14A4a... not a Schilke.

For classical/solo, a Bach 3c, but I'm looking at some Curry's or an old Mt. Vernon or NY Bach #7.

I've also used a Yamaha 16c4, about a Bach 1.5c... a bit too large for classical, but I might go to a Bach 1 or 1.5c

The 14A4a Yamaha is a great mouthpiece for lead, a lot of endurance out of it.

I've also used some other assorted mouthpieces

Hope this bit helps

7. DubbaCTrumpetMSU

DubbaCTrumpetMSU Mezzo Piano User

Dec 29, 2006
    Ft. Worth, TX
    I now play on a 3E, myself, with a 3C as my legit piece(mind you, that 3E is the Wedge, but still, a 3E nonetheless. I love that size, especially in the fact that it feels similar to the 3C and switching is a breeze.

Russ