Just Curious

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Pinch, Feb 23, 2015.

1. Pinch

Pinch New Friend

Dec 15, 2014
    This is one of those questions I should probably apologize for in advance:

I'm new to the trumpet (sax player) and playing for maybe two months now. I have a Gtezen Severinsen Eterna from the early 70s in great shape that I had serviced by a professional tech. Recently, I picked up a 1952 Blessing Standard from a guy on Craigslist for $50. It's in nice shape too. Anyway, using the same mouthpiece (Bach Artisan 5C) I find it easier to play the Blessing than the Getzen. I can't describe it like you guys can, but it just blows more easily for me.

Maybe it's my imagination. I'm hoping someone knows these horns well enough to offer a possible explanation. Thanks!

2. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    The best explanation is that it's just a combination of factors that go together to create better efficiency in one over the other, or it could be that you are just getting better feedback from one over the other.

3. Dennis78

Dennis78 Fortissimo User

Feb 1, 2015
    Cincinnati
    All horns play different, and horn mouthpiece combinations make a lot difference

4. gordonfurr1

gordonfurr1 Forte User

Aug 2, 2010
    North Carolina
    And sometimes the same instrument model from the same manufacturer plays differently...actually probably more than "sometimes".
    The variation in the build quality of instruments is great enough in many cases that the result is noticeably different.
    I recall hearing about one euphonium expert that wouldn't set a price on individual euphoniums of the exact same make/year/model until he thoroughly played each one as the minor differences in build detail made a great difference in performance and therefore value. Odd, isn't it, that even in tbis age of robotic computer controlled manufacturing that the COV (coefficient of variance) is still great enough to cause a noticeable change in performance.
    Trumpets are sensitive resonators. Differences in mass of tubing, solder wicking, shape of bends, Etc. Etc. Etc. summate to a potentially totally different instrument from one serial number to the next.

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Wait until your playing has advanced some. The Getzen may just need more mature chops. Kind of like comparing a Yanasigawa 901 to a Selmer Mark 6. No joy with the Selmer until you have chops.

6. Pinch

Pinch New Friend

Dec 15, 2014
    Thank you for the responses. I was wondering if it might have anything to do with bore and beginner chops. BTW rowuk, that is an excellent analogy