Just discovered Trumpet Master

Discussion in 'Introductions and Greetings' started by Spideriffic, Aug 22, 2009.

1. Spideriffic

Spideriffic New Friend

Aug 16, 2009
    Plainview, NY
    Greetings to all, I can see that this is a great site. I'm from Plainview, New York. I used to play a lot of gigs, but that became less and less until it got to zero over the years. Now I work as a junior high school band director full time. I try to practice here and there but I have limited time to put in the hours that it takes to keep my lip going. I'm 54. Seems harder and harder to maintain any amount of endurance and control these days. But I still love to play. Freddie Hubbard was my hero. I hope to pick up tips both to be a better player and also a better teacher. Looking forward to meeting many of you.

2. Darthsunshine

Darthsunshine Mezzo Forte User

Jul 19, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    Welcome to TM!

3. Sofus

Sofus Forte User

Jul 26, 2008
    Very welcome to TM, Spideriffic!

I bet you have some good ideas to share as well!:-)

4. A.N.A. Mendez

A.N.A. Mendez Utimate User

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    welcome!

5. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Spideriffic - Welcome to our humble, reserved and quiet (NOT!) group. We particularly appreciate music educators here because we realize that there is the secret to keeping the younger generation interested in making music and the performing arts rather than simply playing video games and texting each other.

Speaking personally, I had great music directors when I was in elementary through high school. They were very positivie and encouraging, even to those who were not particularly talented, and even though I started 55 years ago, I still hold those experiences as cherished memories. My 11-year old grandson is starting middle school this year and is going to play cornet in the band. I gave him one of my Olds Ambassador cornets and even though the other kids all have new, shiny trumpets, the band teacher told him that the cornet was a valuable heirloom and was a wonderful playing instrument and that he should really take care of it and learn to value it. Now, instead of hiding it, he shows it off to the others and tells them it was handed down from his grandfather and it is an important element of musical history. And, the other kids are now duly impressed. A good music teacher can have very far-reaching effects.

From all of us at TM, thank you very much for your contribution.

6. trumpmac

trumpmac Pianissimo User

Aug 8, 2009
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Welcome to TM. I second all that Comebackkid said.

7. Spideriffic

Spideriffic New Friend

Aug 16, 2009
    Plainview, NY
    Thanks so much for that post, I enjoyed reading it. Yes, I've been realizing more and more over the years the awesome responsibility that comes with being a teacher. The teacher absolutely sets the tone in the classroom that determines whether learning is pleasant or not. The most important thing is making that human connection, even if, as you say, the student is not necessarily talented. My goal is to teach young students that become music lovers as adults. They don't have to become professional musicians (of course that's fine if they do!) but they should have a greater appreciation of the accomplishments of the pros.

8. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Welcome to TM, Spideriffic! Make 'em learn their scales!

9. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    Welcome to TM, enjoy your stay.

10. Ursa

Ursa Piano User

Jan 17, 2009
    Northern Michigan
    Welcome to TM, Spideriffic! I went off to college as a Music Ed major and soon discovered I just don't have what it takes to connect with the kids. Anyone who can, year after year, has my most sincere admiration.

I hope you enjoy your visits here; this is a wonderful community and a treasure trove of valuable insights.