Just got 2nd trumpet, need to strengthen chops.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by universe34, Nov 11, 2009.

1. universe34

universe34 New Friend

Oct 25, 2009
    California
    As the title implies, I just made 2nd trumpet in my school jazz band. This is a bit of a test of my range, and my endurance has always been one of my weak points. I would like to shore up these weak points, so I was wondering if anyone had advice as to how to acclompish this.

2. ltg_trumpet

ltg_trumpet Mezzo Piano User

Jan 21, 2009
    PRACTICE! Scales, jazz etudes, music, everything you can get your hands on!

3. Bach219

Bach219 Mezzo Piano User

Jun 25, 2008
    OH
    Cool, congrats on that!! Well you do get all the trumpet solos! I too am 2 trumpet and it's quite fun! I'd go with Itg trumpet on this one...

4. kcmt01

kcmt01 Mezzo Forte User

Sep 25, 2009
    Polson, MT
    I found that playing bugle calls helped a lot. I don't know why. For those times that I can't practice, but would like to build my chops (like driving for instance) I'll do the pencil exercise.

5. universe34

universe34 New Friend

Oct 25, 2009
    California
    Actually, I got it because the incumbent second player played mellophone in marching band, so he lost his chops. Sad. Oh well, I'm never going to let him have it back.

6. universe34

universe34 New Friend

Oct 25, 2009
    California
    That could help a lot, though I haven't tried it. They are quite similar to lip slurs.

7. ltg_trumpet

ltg_trumpet Mezzo Piano User

Jan 21, 2009
    if you really wanna dive in, hit the search bar and type in range building... a good ten minute search on here will yield high results

8. universe34

universe34 New Friend

Oct 25, 2009
    California
    Where can I get music and jazz etudes, etc.? Is there a website or other source which is particularly good for this? As a high school freshman, I am rather inexperienced with this.

9. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    Do you have any of the classic books like Arban, St Jacome, Clarke Elementary and Technical, Rubank?

Tom

10. universe34

universe34 New Friend

Oct 25, 2009
    California
    no