Just got 2nd trumpet, need to strengthen chops.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by universe34, Nov 11, 2009.

1. ltg_trumpet

ltg_trumpet Mezzo Piano User

Jan 21, 2009
    aebersold books are fantastic. there is a jazz etude book im working out of by jim snidero, theyre kinda hard, but if you put in enough time, then it really yields good results, and they sound cool. Aebersold.com is GREAT!

2. ltg_trumpet

ltg_trumpet Mezzo Piano User

Jan 21, 2009
    and yea... youll wanna get your hands on an arban or clarke method. but in all honesty, until you get set up in a real routine, youll want to play things that are fun, and keep your interest. Get an arban and some other stuff.

3. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Congratulations on making 2nd chair. I think ITG Trumpet gave great advice. But if I can add one thing (IMHO), don't just practice more. Make sure you practice correctly and consistently.

The Aebersold.com suggestion is great, and is what I use. There's a free jazz handbook online with information on key jazz scales, jazz patterns, basic improv tips, and a good guidline on how to learn new tunes. If you purchcase any of the CD's, the ones that cover the fundamentals (IMHO) are the best, especially Vol 1, 2, 3, but also Vol 16, 24, 42, 47, 84.

Edit: Also, I've recently been working out of Eric Bolvin's Modern Jazz Trumpet Method(http://www.bolvinmusic.com/publications7.html). It's a great woodshedding book for learning jazz patterns.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2009
  4. kcmt01

kcmt01 Mezzo Forte User

Sep 25, 2009
    Polson, MT
    Hey, every serious trumpet player needs an Arban's. You will see specific pages referenced here often.