Just got my appendix taken out.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by jazzartizt1742, Sep 14, 2004.

1. jazzartizt1742

jazzartizt1742 New Friend

Dec 14, 2003
    Union Grove, Wisconsin
    Hey everybody i just got back from the hospital from getting my appendix taken out. I was worrying about my trumpet playing after the surgery, and how long i should wait before picking it up again, and maybe what are some excersizes to keep me in shape so i don't loose too much ground. Homecoming is next friday at my school and i have a feeling i won't make it on the feild for it. Everyone says not to play i asked my nurse and she said just be careful. They have me doing breathing excersizes and my lung capacity is almost back to normal. But i havent attempted playing yet. Just wondering if anyone had this happen to them and what they did Thanks everyone!!

2. bigaggietrumpet

bigaggietrumpet Mezzo Forte User

Jan 23, 2004
    Nazareth, PA
    I've never had an appendix removed before, so I don't no for sure, but with what little anatomy knowledge I have, I'd definitely say be careful. The most important muscles we use are the abdominal muscles that work the diaphragm. If you engage in strenuous playing this soon, you could possibly do some damage from the pressure that this would create. The MOST that I would do would be to buzz the mouthpiece, or maybe the leadpipe. Take it nice and easy, do lots of wholetones, and some easy lip slurs. Whatever you do, don't get in a hurry and hurt yourself.

3. CalicchioMan

CalicchioMan Pianissimo User

Dec 23, 2003
    Lombard, IL
    Ask your Doctor

4. MUSICandCHARACTER

MUSICandCHARACTER Forte User

Jan 31, 2004
    Newburgh, Indiana
    Oh, you missed your chance ....

"Darn it, Jim, I am a trumpet player, not a doctor!"

:D

5. richtom

richtom Forte User

Dec 7, 2003
    It happened to me last summer.
    Were they able to do it arthroscopically or did they have to cut you?
    I had to be cut and tried to play 4 days after the surgery, staples still in. Not a clever idea - that hurt. Because my appendix was perforated, I developed and abcess and had to go back in the hospital and did not touch the horns for a full week. (The abcess was not from trying to play).
    After I got out, I began mouthpiece buzzing a for day or two and then moved to some very soft, low Clarke studies. It took three full weeks after the surgery before I could play above the staff without considerable discomfort. After the discomfort subsided about two weeks later, it was not difficult to get back to the pre-operation level.
    I am a baby-boomer and am middle-aged, so I think you will heal faster.
    Ask your doctor and do not rush it. If it hurts, stop.

6. jazzartizt1742

jazzartizt1742 New Friend

Dec 14, 2003
    Union Grove, Wisconsin
    yeah they had to cut me, and i won't attempt playing i'll just play some sof tones and mpc/leadpipe buzz for awhile till i get the staples out. thanks

7. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Ditto

My real question to you would be what in the heck would drive you to ask a bunch of trumpet cyber geeks a question that you could simply ask your doctor the next time you see him. Why would you take OUR advice? (Unless of course one of us is a trumpet playing doctor. :roll: )

8. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003
    I don’t know how well you play but coming back from something like this is a great chance to really work on playing as efficiently as possible and having a highly structured practice routine( since you can only play for short periods of times you must play wisely).

If you don’t own one already I would suggest using an incentive spirometer, when you are up to buzzing you can take it and do plenty with it this handy little device. Cut the tube down to about one inch, so that when you stick your mouthpiece in it should fit perfectly into the device with a tight seal. You can buzz some scales (or stamp exercise) and melodies while trying to keep the ball at the top. While buzzing do not tighten the stomach up, keep at as loose as it would be as if you were singing.

You can also work on your ears; listen to as many good sounds as possible and program the brain with Phil Smith or some other favorite trumpeter. Once you feel up to playing, work on some Clarke and Concone. Since you are only going to be playing for short periods of times set the standard of making each note sound as good as possible.

http://windsongpress.com/breathing devices/Use_Devices.htm