Just got my braces off and need advice

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpetwebsite, Mar 27, 2009.

1. trumpetwebsite

trumpetwebsite New Friend

Jan 28, 2009
    Florida
    Before I got my braces off I was using a Bach 7C mouthpiece, but now that my braces are off I want to get a mouthpiece to help expand my range and endurance without sacrificing tone quality.

2. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    You may have a good idea, but I would get used to playing without braces first. Your whole mouth cavity has changed and you need to get used to the change before experimenting with new equipment.

3. tunefultrumpet

tunefultrumpet Pianissimo User

Apr 9, 2008
    New Zealand
    I agree.....its not a good time to change mouthpiece. Give yourself six months to a year on the 7C to let the new setup (without braces), settle before you start experimenting with mouthpieces. The 7C is a very good mouthpiece, it is used by pro's so don't run away from it too soon. In the meantime you can expand your range and endurance with practice.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2009
  4. gglassmeyer

gglassmeyer Piano User

Apr 28, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    Congrats, I remember the day mine were removed. No more bees wax to smear across braces to play my horn. I made such a huge improvement in my playing over my senior year in high school, mainly because I actually enjoyed playing. I could just pick up the trumpet and play.
    I'd agree not to switch mouthpieces. I've played on different ones over the years, but I can still pick up my daughter's horn with a 7c and play fine.
    Just get used to playing without the braces first and then if you want to try new mouthpiece get some advice at that point. I'd say at the very least 6 months.

5. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Stick with the 7C whilst you stabilise - at least you "know" what that MP can do for you. When stable, then perhaps reconsider the 7C - you may not need to change at all.

Lots of us have chased the "magic of many mouthpieces" only to find the 'one' was the MP we had in the case after all. Remember, "the hurrieder I go, the behinder I get." (Unk source - not a Ted original). ;-)

6. Bloomin Untidy Musician

Bloomin Untidy Musician Piano User

Jan 14, 2008
    Staffordshire
    When i got my braces off, i had to use a belt!

7. Darthsunshine

Darthsunshine Mezzo Forte User

Jul 19, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    For the American kids out there: Braces = suspenders. ROFL

8. nchsbandrocks10

nchsbandrocks10 New Friend

Feb 27, 2009
    Reno, NV
    When I got mine off I actually switched to a 7C. A 7C gives you a better range. I have had my braces off for a year and a half about about a year ago I switched to a 3C. I am able to play better low notes, and better high notes.
    The key thing is practice 2 octive scales and lip slurs. I never really practiced them and I just got my range back [and more] about 6 months ago.