Just Got my First C Trumpet!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Graham, Feb 15, 2009.

1. Graham

Graham Pianissimo User

Jun 8, 2008
    Melbourne, Australia
    Yep, landed myself a spectacular deal for a Bach Strad 229 with a 25 leadpipe, and boy is it a GREAT horn!

Now as I'm sure many people have noticed, the intonation is a bit different, and I'm finding that the third-space C is a bit sharp, along with other little differences here and there.

I understand that as I get used to this horn that I will accomodate for the differences in intonation, however I was interested to find out if anyone had any tips that helped them acclimatise faster?

I'm gonna do my routine today SOLELY on this horn and see how it goes.

2. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Since it is a common practice to use 3rd space C as the tuning note, wouldn't that mean the low C is flat? Everything is relative I guess. In orchestra you'd use A 1&2 to tune to the oboe (if anyone really does that). Just because you blow that A in tune with the oboe doesn't really mean you are in tune, does it? Woodwinds aren't built around a compromise as much as valved brass, who have to adjust every damn note they play.

Oh, congrats on the new horn, Graham. I think the most difficult adjustment is having everything a whole step higher than you are accustomed to.
    veery

3. Pedal C

Pedal C Mezzo Forte User

Jan 24, 2005
    I think a good way to get used to C trumpet is to warm-up on the same pitchs you normally play. So, lets say you start with a C major scale on your Bb, play Bb major on the C. Maybe a simpler way to say it is to read your Bb warm-up and transpose it a step down. If you sometimes noodle around in G and C, noodle around in F and Bb on the C trumpet.

The reason I like this is that your eyes and ear and chops are doing the same thing they always do, you just push a different button. I've seen lots of people who grab a C trumpet and play everything a step higher and end up having a tough time centering the pitch. Especially tough at first is to play lip slurs in the open position on the C. Start with the first valve position and continue from there. As you get used to the horn, this sort of thing won't matter much, but I think it's a simple way to make the C less weird at first.

Also, don't expect it to sound or feel exactly like the Bb. Just enjoy the C-trumpet-ness!

Jason.

4. Brass crusader

Brass crusader Mezzo Piano User

C trumpet can be an absolute bear to play, and I know many, many players who despise their C's with a passion, and I know many(myself included), who love their C's(most of the time), and play them as one of their main horns.

For the C, you may want to try playing it 2-3, as opposed to open. I do that on my horns.

Good Luck with the new horn!!

5. Sofus

Sofus Forte User

Jul 26, 2008
    I´ve always loved to play the C-trumpet.
    In fact, at this moment a Gerdt C-trumpet
    is all i own. I have owned a couple of Bb´s,
    a couple of C´s, a natural trp, a D/Eb and
    a piccolo, and I´ve always thought that the
    difference between a Bb and a C trp is very
    noticeable, in the same way that the difference
    between a C and Eb-trp or a Eb and piccolo is
    noticeable; one can clearly both hear and feel
    that the instrument is a "shorter" one.

Even in those days when I had all these trps
    I practised on the C-trp the most; it simply
    felt good for my lips (this is all in my mind, of course!).

If you feel good about your C-trp now, I think you will
    continue to do so!

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

6. BrassOnLine

BrassOnLine Piano User

Nov 22, 2007
    Spain
    That's Bach tuning troubbles...
    A 25A leadpipe would help you to play a little bit more in tune. 25H for better sound, 25S for a better blowing feel...
    You'll find lots of custom leadpipes for your horn (Blackburn, Najoom, the ones I make...) and almost all of them would make your horn to play better in tune.
    Anyway, it's a nice horn.
    My tip is to do some LONG warm up on your C for some weeks, so your ears get usual with its sound and tuning.
    Best wishes

7. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    When I purchased my C trumpet 25 years ago no one told me about the problems and difficulties with it, there was no internet, I just listened to the organ in the church and played in tune with it and its tuning changed as the church warmed up.

Enjoy your C Graham.

Regards, Stuart

Selmer paris 99 Radial.

8. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    YES!!!
    Players tend to always blame their equipment.
    How in-tune are YOU? Think about that. Sing an etude. Are you in-tune at the end of the etude,or have you completely lost it? We need to check our own sense of pitch. Singing is the way.
    Wilmer

9. MJ

MJ Administrator Staff Member

Jan 30, 2006
    Naptown
    Congrats on the new horn!

Brass crusader likes this.
  10. Darthsunshine

Darthsunshine Mezzo Forte User

Jul 19, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    I love my C. The only difficulty has been teaching my brain that the pitch is not the same as with the Bb. Helps to hit the right pitch when you come in on orchestra pieces!