Just joined Bugles Across America!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by jiarby, Mar 27, 2012.

1. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    I just signed up at the BAA website, and got a phone call within an hour from a local representative. Played taps over the phone and he say's I'm in!

So, how nervous were any of you other BAA members on your first gig??

2. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    I did my uncle's funeral and I was a wreck.

There seems to be no requests in Wisconsin, so I resigned after a couple of years of requests all in Chicago (I'm in Milwaukee).

You're a better man than I am.

Tom

3. RHSbigbluemarchingband

RHSbigbluemarchingband Mezzo Piano User

Jan 17, 2009
    I'm not in BAA but I have done a bunch of TAPS ceremonies, and they were nerve wracking especially my grandfather's (one of his last things was that he wanted me to get that Strad because of how it "lit up my face when I opened the case and how excited I was" so it was him who essentially sealed the deal), and playing it on that horn and in front of the whole family by sunset was insanely hard. After that everything got better, plus I always just remember how much the people appreciate it.

4. BustedChops

BustedChops Mezzo Forte User

Oct 1, 2011
    Taps might be the easiest song to play on the bugle or trumpet but it's also the most difficult. While taps is a very important traditional folk song there are many other bugle calls that can offer some equally folklorish history.

5. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    Not much going in my end of Ohio, either, Tom.:oops:

6. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    My first experience (and only one so far) went really well. The organizers of the memorial service were not aware of the fact that there is a bulger at the Willamette National Cemetary all day on the 2 days of the week during which the services are usually performed. So there ended up to be 2 of us. Robert (the other bugler, in uniform) was a very nice fellow and he understood that I had a bit of a drive to get there, on top of booking my time, so he offered to do an echo taps. I was nervous, the same as I would be on any public performance if I'm "exposed." It went really well. We were in tune and managed to be not too fast nor too slow. I did the initial call and he did the echo (which is probably more difficult). No clam or large intonation adjustment. It turned out to be a real nice taps.

So no complaint here. I have seen only one request since and it had already been filled when I responded to the e-mail.

7. acarcido

acarcido Forte User

Dec 28, 2009
    Ontario, Ca
    Phillippe,

I had a very simular experience last summer for a 9/11 ceremony at Chaffey College here in Ontario, California. I was booked through BAA and showed up a week prior to ceremony to meet with the VA dignitaries that were hosting the event. It was a full on ceremony with all the local fire departments there and an awesome bagpipe ensemble that would make anyone's throat tighten listening to Amazing Grace. So on Sunday 09/11/2011 I show up in my full Army dress green uniform that cost me nearly $200 to get back up to standards, and come to find out that someone booked another horn player who had just graduated from the LA school of arts in trumpet performance. I had my newly refurbished WWII King Liberty with me being that it was a fitting time to use for this occassion. We ended up doing the Echo version of TAPS which I was initially against since it's not regulation, but then found out this guy was getting paid for the gig. The VA rep wanted to cut me a check too, and I kindly refused being that it was more of an honor and also against BAA regulations. It was sweet and mellow right after the Marine Corp did a 21 gun salute. I recall this lady walking up to us and telling us what a beautiful sense she felt hearing TAPS with tears in her eye. That really made me greatful not having accepted the cash for the gig.

8. mrsemman

mrsemman Piano User

Apr 8, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Welcome to the club. I have been a member for the past few years. I did okay on my first detail, although a lot of things had to be improved upon. I became very cocky, and got my comeuppence this past January, when at a funeral for a fallen police officer/ Army soldier, I cacked the hell out of Taps. The state honor guard team, informed my state director that they did not want to see me again. I have spent the past few months really working on breathing, tone, articulation, etc. and have finally succeeded. I have been videotaping my practice sessions, and I am now satisfied with the results.

Just in time for a major detail this weekend in a nearby city to play taps at a Viet Nam Memorial.

Good luck,

Gary

9. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    That is bad, I think that was not called for. Do you know that the guy that played taps for JFK cracked a note? Yeah, true story. Cracking notes is a problem, but not bad enough to banish from playing taps for another funeral.

10. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    It is only against regulations to SOLICIT a payment. If they offer compensation the BAA says it is OK to "accept with dignity".