Just joined Bugles Across America!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by jiarby, Mar 27, 2012.

1. acarcido

acarcido Forte User

Dec 28, 2009
    Ontario, Ca
    Is that right? Well now I know and I will look into that to make sure that is correct. I do recall BAA posting an international bulletin about some so-called pro musicians who were charging for playing TAPS. It was frowned upon and those individuals have been banned from BAA.

2. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    My first BAA coming up on Saturday ..always a priviledge.

3. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    This is worth a read, and a similar comment also features on the Taps 150 Anniversary CD (very worthwhile chasing this one up - even as an Aussie, I find this a fascinating CD):

The Broken Note-Story of Taps at the Funeral of John F. Kennedy « Taps Bugler: Jari Villanueva

and the actual performance ....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbNfOpTx5CQ

I think it's important to take them in order - even the best of us can crack a note - it happens.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2012
    codyb226 likes this.
  4. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    I disagree. First of all, the bugler at JFK's funeral hardly messed up. The note was one of the passing notes and was hardly that bad. The killer is the climactic G above the staff. That one is really prominent both acoustically and emotionally. IMO, more has been made of that JFK bugler clam than it merits.

Secondly, Gary, bless his heart, didn't write that he missed a note here or there, he wrote, "I cacked the hell out of Taps". Those responsible for the ceremonies are fully within their rights - no, their responsibilities - to avoid a repeat of that. There are no second chances at a funeral. I'm not casting judgement. It's just that it is what it is. BTW Gary, best wishes this weekend for the Viet Nam ceremony. I'm sure those participating will be grateful and that your hard work in the meantime will have paid off.

The comment by acarcido about getting himself presentable for the ceremony with his uniform, etc reminded me . . . for those of you who may not be able to any longer be presentable in uniform, either because of weight or facial hair or other factors, if you wear a suit, you are authorised to wear your medals, since this is an official DOD sponsored event. You might even get creative if you want, and wear a sports coat the same colour as your service branch's colour. Anyway, wear the medals on your left pocket side where they would normally go on your Class A uniform coat. I am not positive (you can search the VA web site) but I believe you can opt for either the large or small medals, (I've worn my small medals).

5. acarcido

acarcido Forte User

Dec 28, 2009
    Ontario, Ca
    [​IMG]Here is a pic of my Class A Coat. I am missing some medals that I could not find and ordering too long and I took this picture before they arrived. I actually had to have my coat taylored to fit my growing body. LOL

6. brassplayer

brassplayer Pianissimo User

May 6, 2009
    San Gabriel, CA
    The question of sounding Echo TAPS at funerals has come up before on TrumpetMaster. At the time, member tapsbugler wrote the following:

ECHO TAPS
    Echo Taps is not authorized by the US Army for funerals. I think it's OK for Memorial and Veterans Day services but really is out of place at funerals (IMHO) It's quite amusing to watch a bugler do echo taps by himself-first playing then turning 180 degrees and playing again
    Besides, if you have 2 buglers at a funeral, somewhere some veteran is going without..​

7. acarcido

acarcido Forte User

Dec 28, 2009
    Ontario, Ca
    I just realized that my name tage is missing as well. You know, both of these units are now deactivated in the US Army. Left arm is my last unit I was with in Ft Stewart (24th Infantry). Right arm is the infamous 2nd Armored Division belonging to Old Blood and Guts himself, Gen Patton. We were the only unit in the Army that wore our patch over our hearts in our standard battle dress uniform (BDU). Great memories.

8. acarcido

acarcido Forte User

Dec 28, 2009
    Ontario, Ca
    Brassplayer, Since it was not an actual funeral and the fact that the rookie horn player was getting payed was the reason I let the echo version pass. I was trying to instruct the young man in military protocol as far as procession was concerned but with such short notice to ceremony time. We handled it pretty good. No cracked notes on that session. ;-)

9. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    Regarding echo taps, unless it is specificly forbidden, I see no reason not to play it. I have heard/seen plenty of echo taps performed at national cemetaries by military bandsmen. Generally, band administrations, as well as the base and cemetary veterans offices that are responsible for such ceremonies are pretty careful about adhering to the letter of the regulation.

10. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    The service at which I played echo taps was a memorial service, not a funeral, so I do not believe that we bent any rule too far.