Just Making Excuses

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by nomojo, Feb 9, 2012.

1. nomojo

nomojo New Friend

Oct 15, 2007
    Coffs Harbour NSW Oz
    Greetings,

I took up the flugelhorn just over 3 years ago and am struggling to expand my range above the stave. I am told by my fellow band members that it is more difficult with a flugelhorn than a trumpet. Is this true, or, are they just making excuses for me. I have a good instrument and I practice daily. I have tried any number of exercises with little improvement. I am 66 years young, if that has any bearing. I have developed the unfortunate habit of pressing the mouthpiece very firmly into my lips to try and get there and that can't be good.

Cheers,

Nomojo

2. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    Flugel mouthpieces are deeper, and possibly also more VEE cupped than a trumpet.
    I'd suggest getting a cheapie cornet or trumpet (like an Olds Ambassador or Conn Director) and do most of your fundamental practice on that... scales, clarke, arban, etc...

Are you playing exclusively Flugel in a brass band of some kind?? Not alot of that here in the US.

3. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    I would approach the flugel kind of like a piccollo trumpet. If you try to muscle it it basically tells you "no" .
    I would work on playing very soft long tones ... something that has arpegios moving up in half steps. That deep cup doesn't have the same back presure as a regular trumpet mouthpiece ( I think) which puts more reliance on your embrouchure. You still need to support the notes with air.

4. Dupac

Dupac Fortissimo User

Aug 19, 2008
    Bordeaux, France.
    You wrote : "… it is more difficult with a flugelhorn than a trumpet. Is this true ?"
    Yes. Due to the fully conical bore of the flugel, its high register vanishes quickly. In fact, it is not done to get into the stratosphere. It is more used in medium and low register, where his mellow timbre works wonders.

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    If you fight it, then it is true. I actually find it easier to play the flugelhorn in the lead range. Slotting is less forgiving, which means more work on control, but if you relax on the mouthpiece (so you are nots sucked into the deeper cup) it actually is quit easy.

6. Rapier

Rapier Forte User

Jul 18, 2011
    UK
    What flugel mouthpiece are you using? They can make a huge difference in the range on the flugel.

7. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008

While I agree that projection of notes in the high register is different on the trumpet, I don't think we're talking about "high notes" here.

In my opinion, developing a range up to high C shouldn't be all that much harder on flugel than trumpet. If you're self-taught then maybe you should take a few lessons to get you headed in a better direction. "Trying" exercises to build range generally doesn't work for anyone.

You need a regular, structured, daily practice routine. That will give you very gradual results, but probably the best.

8. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    If you can do it on the trumpet, you can do it on the flugel. It does take some finesse, so you have to work on it. Most flugel parts are written for the lower registers. The higher one goes on a flugel, the squirrelier the slotting becomes.

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    If this question is directed at me, I use a Getzen 3C on the Flugelhorn; however, with that said, I am not sure this will be the one that works for you. I use it because it is comfortable for me at any range.

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Tobylou speaketh the truth! And the fact that it takes finesse is an understatement. I have been playing on the Getzen Eterna/Getzen 3C mouthpiece combination for 40 years now, so we have become one. In that much time, a LOT of finessing has been going on. And suirrelier slotting... all I can say to that is squeak squeak... which in squirrel talk is "You betcha".