Just Making Excuses

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by nomojo, Feb 9, 2012.

1. Dupac

Dupac Fortissimo User

Aug 19, 2008
    Bordeaux, France.
    [​IMG]
    Sorry, the squirrel chose the cornet for this session :dontknow:

Last edited: Feb 9, 2012
  2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    You sure that isn't a Cor-nut he is playing? And isn't this Chip Botti, being backed up by his favorite pianist... in the duo known as Chip-Monk!

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Anyone here want to bet that this will be Kingtrumpet's next "Avatar of the Day".

4. Dupac

Dupac Fortissimo User

Aug 19, 2008
    Bordeaux, France.
    Right : they are playing "Nutty".

5. Rapier

Rapier Forte User

Jul 18, 2011
    UK
    No not you. the OP. I know what one works for me. :cool:

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Nomojo,

the flugel is a beast when we try to "conquer" the notes. It wants to be caressed. Start playing more softly and I think that you will discover something special.

I find lipslurs especially good for developing the upper register. I use the Irons book with my students but Arban, Schlossberg, Voxman, Rubank,........ all are OK too.

7. tpsiebs

tpsiebs Piano User

Feb 6, 2010
    Randolph, New Jersey
    Depending on the mouthpiece, the flugelhorn will start to play flat in the high register around A over the staff. Chuck Mangione managed to get a couple of flat D's (not Db's) out in "Feels So Good" but that is not to say the notes don't exist. They're just not practical .

The trumpet is a "cold air" instrument (air stream like blowing out a candle) vs. the flugel being more of a "warm air" (fogging the lenses of your glasses) instrument. I agree with rowuk that the softer end of the spectrum helps you correctly "voice" the flugel.

8. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Well then, get the sniper rifle from the Super Bowl thread!! ROFL

9. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    Not true. I play a lot of flugel with a deep mpc and I don't play flat above high C. The upper register is just squirly. You really have to blow different than with a trumpet. because of the conical bore the flugel changes fullness as you go from bottom to top. A trumpet will maintain it's fullness through all registers.

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I too will have to go with Bob Grier's squirrely theory. Playing flat is not a problem for me on my equipment either. It IS a different blow [than the trumpet], but once you play the horn for a while you will learn how to float that sweet spot to maintain consistency.