Just need a little advice

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by bachstradivarius, Mar 10, 2013.

1. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Great advice from Misty. While some can handle it, there is something that takes the "fun" out of playing when your living depends on it - you play what they want, the way they want it, and when they want it.

2. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    I admire your goals, I will play the Devil's Advocate, IMO to get a position in a major orchestra with a good paying position you will have to be in the top 0.1% of players.

My friend who is the Principle Bass Trombone of an Australian orchestra, has given master classes in the USA was invited to apply for the position in a major American orchestra, he was very pleased to be rated 15th on the list of 800 aplicants.

Another friend, graduate in music from University was teaching brass in a number of schools, gave it away, making more money working in a bakery.

Regards, Stuart.

3. tjcombo

tjcombo Forte User

Nov 12, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia
    ...and the ultimate in practicalities is that we have one life to live. My brother and I both wanted to make a living from music whilst at high school. At our parents' insistence, we both went off and studied for a "real job" first - me at uni, then my brother an apprenticeship. He went back to study music in his late twenties and became a high school music teacher, along with having a wide range of other musical activities. I've had nice rewarding career in IT and I don't envy the struggles and compromises my brother had to make. On the flip side, the need to make music can burn in your guts if you don't do something about it. It's never too late, but the OP has time to give it a red-hot shot. Nothing wrong with taking a day job later to support the music habit.:-)

4. BachStrad1

BachStrad1 Pianissimo User

Apr 9, 2012
    Kalamazoo MI
    If you want to go back to school to learn more about music and to be a better musician...DO IT. I have a degree in music and found that I took the most joy in teaching middle and high school students while performing in local groups. I would like to relate a story one of my former students told me. "Joe" was a very hardworking young man who applied himself to his studies and his practice in school. He took lessons from me through Jr. High and part of High School. He went to a major university in the next town and when I saw his dad at a gig he was playing, he informed me that Joe was the top trumpet player at the school and it was mostly "my fault". I ran into Joe a couple of years later at the grocery store. He told me that he had gotten a job at a local middle school...teaching social studies. Here was his dilemma. He started as a music major. Partway through his freshman year, he looked around and noticed that all of the upperclassmen seemed stressed and flat out miserable. So he talked to some of them...they were. He thought about it for a while and changed majors. His thought was that he never wanted music to become another chore, but wanted it to stay a source of joy in his life. He currently tutors trumpet players at his middle school on weekends and plays with his dad occaisionally and loves every minute of it. I guess I'm being another Devil's Advocate here and saying "Be careful what you wish for because you just might get it". Not trying to dissuade you, but giving you a slice of life experience that I've found very wise and valuable myself, even though it came from a former student.

5. edfitzvb

edfitzvb Forte User

Jun 10, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA

6. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    As a parallel, I have a mate who did an apprenticeship as a pattern maker - in a boat propeller firm - moved on to design and build patterns for artificial limbs - went back to school to became a podiatrist. But, his overwhelming passion is blacksmithing which he reckons he does 16hr per day - and only yesterday he said to me "I still have to eat - hence the podiatry". This is one very very talented and highly competent 'smith' - anything from bespoke firearms to artificial limbs, high speed boat props, blacksmithing tools and metal artwork, but there just isn't the market for his calling. I guess that's the same as having too many fabulous musicians fighting for the same work.

But your initial question was about going back to school as a mature aged student - and I still highly recommend that endeavour - otherwise you'll spend the rest of your life with regrets.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2013
  7. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    It's simple, if you don't enjoy making your own music, don't do it. The odds of earning a family living are against a player, That said, I play because I enjoy it ... and now with my health there isn't much else I can do.

8. JNINWI

JNINWI Piano User

Apr 26, 2011
    Earth
    Bach don’t let your age stop you from college, I’m 58, and the younger guys are doing everything they can to catch up to this hired gun….keep em on their toes : )

9. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    I've a B Ed with a minor in instrumental music and I'm now tutoring 4 middle school boys simultaneously on trumpet, and I consider myself decently trained to do this. That said, I'd still like to find a convenient tutor who could improve my own playing skills but I'm not wanting the remote stuff that truly requires advanced audio equipment.

Otherwise, I'm now backboning a jammin' group I'm participating in to hit the road and play some gigs. It's a goal now estimated to be packin' the equipment in 2014, and the youngest of our bunch, the drummer is 46 this year. We've been jammin at the senior center here but while continuing to jam there, we will be moving immediately to digs where we can practice and rehearse more.

10. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Ed, that sounds like me - I had to get a B Ed because I couldn't find a university offering a BTed :). Seriously though, I do have BEd in Adult Education with a major in Human Resource Development (HRD)