Just out of curiosity......

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by maestro76, May 3, 2007.

1. maestro76

maestro76 New Friend

Apr 17, 2007
    Illinois
    .........There is a tune used in the movie, "Pulp Fiction" by Dick Dale. It is the "main theme" of the movie. Anyone know who the trumpet player is on that tune.....and is it the same soloist on the new Black Eyed Peas sample of that song????

Hope all is well with everyone. Pretty soggy here in St. Louis metro east!

chuck

2. wilcox96

wilcox96 Mezzo Piano User

Oct 31, 2005
    charlotte nc
    I did some quick searching and believe it might even have been Dick Dale himself on trumpet. As this tune (at least the trumpet part) being sampled for the Black Eyed Peas tune... you are right. It's the same...
    See quote...:

Not only was "Misirlou" used in Pulp Fiction, it was also later heavily sampled by the Black Eyed Peas for their song "Pump It".

btw..what town in Illinois/across from St Louis are you? I grew up around Alton.

3. maestro76

maestro76 New Friend

Apr 17, 2007
    Illinois
    Brad,

I live in Edwardsville, teach in Highland......you?

4. wilcox96

Oct 31, 2005
    charlotte nc
    I'm long since removed from that area...but still have family in and around. My dad was a pretty prominent band director in the area for about 35 yrs (retired probably about 15 yrs ago?? something like that).

I'm in the Carolinas now. I do visit fam that way still and have done some touring thru there. Anyway...it was a great place to grow up. Alton High! ha. We were very lucky to have incredible music programs.

5. maestro76

maestro76 New Friend

Apr 17, 2007
    Illinois
    I know your dad I think. Jim Wilcox? Was the band director at East Alton? He was the guest conductor at the Madison County Band Festival that my students took part in. What a great guy. The kids really liked him and got a kick out of that whole day. He really got them excited.

What a small world!

6. stchasking

stchasking Forte User

Jun 11, 2006
    It is pouring in St. Charles and at the airport today. I'm on the top floor and it's like working inside a snare drum.

Alton is a very interesting town. You can't beat the river road and Pierre Marquet Park on a weekend.

7. wilcox96

Oct 31, 2005
    charlotte nc
    Yes, Jim Wilcox...that's my pops! I am very pleased to hear that the kids (and you) enjoyed having him there. I know he really got a kick out of it also. He's really one of the best conductors and educators out there. He is certainly enjoying his retirement! haha.

stchasking...I've actually been meaning to say hello to you as well, noticing your location.

Maybe I'll drop you guys a note if I get up that way.

Hope you guys have a great weekend.