Just Popping In

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Mark_Kindy, Jun 2, 2012.

1. Mark_Kindy

Mark_Kindy Mezzo Forte User

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    Just wanted to post an update on how things are going, since I've been off for a while!

Got back into taking lessons, now from a good friend/mentor of mine here in the Daytona Area
    Unfortunately, I have little time to practice because I'm working full time as a manager, but during my breaks I practice.
    My teacher is currently running me on a regiment of long tones (but of course!), and we've discussed really building a good daily routine.
    Getting the Irons book at last, as well as the Theicke (spelling?) book. Looking forward to this! I've sworn an oath to him to not overthink my playing, to focus on the sound.

Hope all are doing well!

2. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Good to hear from you and that all is well. Ah, long tones, my favorite! :D

Last edited: Jun 6, 2012
  3. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    Mark - good to hear from you.

You may be interested in my "Ten Second Rule". I will start a new thread...

4. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    I was wondering where you went --- one of the few people that find interesting and often humorous content from ole KT. So, obviously I missed you!!!!!!! --- yes, long tones -- and discipline --- of course that is what you need to do long tones ---- lots of discipline -- but they help a lot.
    play and be happy

5. patkins

patkins Forte User

Nov 22, 2010
    Tuscaloosa, AL.
    Where are you working Mark? We have missed you and your input. I hope all is well. A strong foundation built on long note and tone control, focusing on sounds pays off in great dividends. I'm glad you can practice on breaks.
    Best Regards!

6. optic1

optic1 Pianissimo User

Mar 31, 2012
    West Richland, Washington
    Good job, so how did school go? Your going back right? Practicing for me was always like ebb and flow. I did best when I just didnt think about it. Whenever I said I had to do it I thought it was a pain in the butt. Just keep at it.

7. harleyt26

harleyt26 Mezzo Forte User

Dec 9, 2009
    Summerfield,Fl.
    Hi Mark,
    Daytona is not that far, if you get a Monday off come to Ocala.

8. BustedChops

BustedChops Mezzo Forte User

Oct 1, 2011
    Did you get that Edwards trumpet yet? If so how do you like it? What leadpipe and bell did you get? Also how is that 3C slug working out?

9. Mark_Kindy

Mark_Kindy Mezzo Forte User

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    I did get that Edwards, BC. It plays well, I like it, very consistent blow. I don't recall the LP and bell, I have it down somewhere...
    The slug is working out great, as well

I actually went up to Gainesville this weekend, but it was just to pick up some things, and I didn't have time to drop by in Ocala :/ I'll be sure to visit! However, I will definitely be back in school again in the fall, considering taking some more Physics classes with my music classes...

I work at Chick-fil-A, actually, at the Volusia Mall in Daytona. Not the most prestigious job, but I like CFA (they do a great job of keeping things clean and healthy) and it pays the bills ^.^ A great summer job. Certainly keeps me busy. I apologize for taking so long in posting back.

PS, Ivan, what is this Ten second rule you speak of?

10. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY