Just putting out some feelers...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by DaTrump, May 29, 2014.

1. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas
    Hi guys! Sorry I've been so inactive since my premature retirement from trumpet. Fortunately, the fever has caught me once again establishing a strong desire to play, however I don't have a horn anymore! I've been borrowing one but eventually I plan on getting my own and maybe do an ensemble or two. Either way, I can't get one right now as I'm saving up for next semester but I was wondering how many members have an old beater I may be able to purchase.

Also, to get a little discussion going for some other comebackers. What was your comeback horn, and do you still play it from time to time?

2. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    We'll see what happens with the 1962 "400" I bought. :-)

My comeback horn was the one I learned on, my grandfather's "400". Never let it go, never will, except to a qualified family member.

Tom

3. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas
    Where do I sign up?

4. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    You don't, because none of my nieces would have you, I don't think.

You could perhaps buy the 1962 "400". We'll see whether I want to give it up. Heck, have not yet played it.

Tom

5. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    I've got an old POLMUZ trumpet lying around which I don't play and which you could have free... but that would be a Devil's Gift because that horn was unplayable from the beginning. Other than that... I'll see what I can rustle up.

6. Kujo20

Kujo20 Forte User

Sep 29, 2010
    I've got a few in my slowly growing inventory. Conn, Holton, Jupiter, Yamaha, Bach, and a few more... PM me if you'd like more info.

Kujo

7. jaemard

jaemard Mezzo Piano User

Jul 2, 2012
    San Rafael, CA
    I still have an Ambassador.

8. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    My comeback horn was a Chinese Lark - funny story as my very first trumpet was a Lark and a really DOG. Needless to say the New Chinese Lark in 2003-4 was as bad as my first horn... I gave it away to a lady in China who wanted to play bugle - a gift (and I told her it was a poor trumpet).

My next was a Chinese BG Bb trumpet (A clone of James Morrison's Yamaha YTR6335J) and still have it, and contrary to everything you hear - it is evidence that Chinese can make good horns. I still use it, especially when I see a James Morrison Yamaha in the line up of a section. This horn is a dead set copy, swapping you really don't see. feel or hear a difference. Maybe time to give it a run again. My new horn is in at the Tech's getting a service for a few days. That was the start of my getting back into the trumpet. Still trying to play better with the knowledge that a good horn of any make is all you need. A Bad horn is like a cheap fishing rod, when you really need it, you can bet it will fail.

9. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    QUITTER NEVER WIN, and WINNERS NEVER QUIT (so your back at it, you really didn't quit, you only took a longer than expected break in practice regimens)---
    the other point (the FEVER has caught you once again) ---------------------------------- at some point in your stint here on TM, you were infected with the GM INFECTION (named appropriately after gmonady) ---- this INFECTION has no cure, and often induces one to continue playing the trumpet, and to continue to improve through much pain and agony. I have never heard a fever as being one of the symptoms, however, as infectious diseases go, this could be a latent response and possible "flair up" of symptoms from your initial GM INFECTION ROFL ROFL ROFL

10. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    A Bach 1530 .... after one month I had just about enough of it, and that was after a 25 year layoff .... gave it to the person who sold me their Bach Strad just in case they ever got the itch...