Just saw Doc Severenson in Concert

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by duderubble, Mar 11, 2012.

1. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    2 Hours?! According to some, that's 2 hour to many! :lol: But what does Doc know? ;-)

2. edfitzvb

edfitzvb Forte User

Jun 10, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    I saw Doc doing a clinic at Wake Forest University in 1968 or 1969. He played for us kids, then went out and was the featured soloist with the WFU band. It was FREEZING cold and he came out and played a wonderful halftime show. I was amazed, because cold always does funny things to the timbre of my sound. Still my all-time favorite player

3. bach37

bach37 Pianissimo User

Dec 1, 2011
    My wife and I saw him on the 8th its was a fantastic show. I wish I could do it all over again!

4. Trumpet Dreamer

Trumpet Dreamer Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2010
    Jazz Town, USA
    It is my understanding that Doc was always one to stress the importance of practice...as he practices up to 8 hours a day.

5. richtom

richtom Forte User

Dec 7, 2003
    Both Doc and Bud Herseth have stated that as they got along in years, it took them a bit longer to get ready for a performance. Long after mere mortals were hanging it up, these two were still as good as it gets. Doc will be 85 this year and still is a fabulous player.
    Doc's practice is legendary. Vince Chicowicz wrote that every time he called Bud's house, Mrs. Herseth would say he was downstairs practicing and she would go get him.
    There is a lot of utter nonsense about "you can't go wrong" with this horn or that mouthpiece. A true pro just won't make a blanket statement like that. What you really CAN'T go wrong with is intelligent, proper practice and lots of it.
    RT

6. duderubble

duderubble Piano User

Oct 21, 2011
    That reminds me, my son and I were both watching to see if he would change horns. Near as we could tell he never did, but he changed mouthpieces several times. Some of the guys in the trumpet section changed horns. I don't know what Doc plays now but whatever it was looked like lacquer from the 16th row.