Just scales

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Invisible-Bob, Jan 17, 2012.

1. Invisible-Bob

Invisible-Bob New Friend

Jun 10, 2011
    Hello again

I have been at the trumpet for about 6 months progressing slowly but progressing. My trumpet is a Yamaha Xeno custom which I love. What are your thoughts on playing stictly scales? I started out with beginner books but it was too difficult to concentrate on embouchure and the music at the same time so I tossed the books and now I just play scales. That has worked for me better than anything but I know no songs at all and probably couldn't play them anyway. Scales are a lot easier to deal with for some reason. As Bill O'Rielly would s

2. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Songs, etudes, exercises, and the rest are all made of of scales and parts of them. You sound like you have an issue with reading the ink. Better get back to it because it will never get easier, only harder.

If you insist on only playing by ear, then start playing along with music you like. No one knows NO songs. What about Mary Had a Little Lamb or Twinkle Twinkle Little Star? You have to begin somewhere.

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I would add a hymnbook to the scales. Easy tunes do a lot more for your over all playing than whole step, whole step, half step, whole step, whole step, whole step, half step.

Every farmer since Adam and Eve left the garden of Eden or ancient Mesopotamia around 10000BC knows that monocultures are VERY bad!

4. Satchmo Brecker

Satchmo Brecker Piano User

Jul 19, 2010
    Huh? It looks like the OP's post got cut off.

5. Invisible-Bob

Invisible-Bob New Friend

Jun 10, 2011
    Actually I do a little of both. With the scales that is.

6. ozboy

ozboy Mezzo Forte User

Jan 17, 2007
    Australia
    You can turn your scales into exercises. I will use numbers to represent the notes of the scale
    eg 1 3 2 4 3 5......
    1 4 2 5 3 6.......
    1231 2342 3453......
    1 2 1 3 1 4 1 5 ....
    1353 2464 3575 8
    1235 2346 ...........
    There are endless possibilities including rhythm patterns on each of the notes. Hope this helps.

7. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    Scales get comfortable because once the fingering succession is memorized and tied with the variation in air support and embouchure focus, it is very easy to let them flow without any thinking. However, there is only so far it'll take you. Plenty of good suggestions in the posts above.

You can also try Herbert Clark "Elementary Studies." Lots of exercises shaped in the form of simple songs and based on the common scales. Less challenging than the early stages of most methods. Sigmund Herring's "50 Recreational Studies for the Young trumpeter" could help too. Then later, take a look at G. Balay "Methode Complete de Cornet a Pistons;" it presents each key's scale and then has exercises using that scale that progressively increase in length and complexity, somewhat reminiscent of Bach's music. There is also plenty you can sink your teeth in with Arban, just dig in the book; breakdown a given number if you need, or just work on one segment a time.

8. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    Go back to a good beginner book and learn to read, count, etc. If you really want to learn to play get a good teacher. Otherwise you are probably all ready learning bad playing habits.

9. Invisible-Bob

Invisible-Bob New Friend

Jun 10, 2011
    Scales seem to be the only thing that works for me right now. Well that and just emprovising. I can read music but when I play out of the method books it just doesn't go well. When I get to the point where I can play the entire scale of the trumpet with ease and good tone then I'll move on to the method books.

10. trumpetgoddess96

trumpetgoddess96 New Friend

Nov 23, 2011
    You should write out the notes to the songs and practice them slowly, just like you would a scale. That way you'll ingrain the songs in your head like a scale, and you can work up to playing them up to tempo. You'll have it down in no time!

kingtrumpet likes this.