Just scales

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Invisible-Bob, Jan 17, 2012.

1. JNINWI

JNINWI Piano User

Apr 26, 2011
    Earth
    It takes much more than just scales for me to get the horn to do what I need it to do.

2. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator Mezzo Forte User

Jul 14, 2010
    If I can play "My Favorite Things" I am pretty sure I can play a scale :-P Anyway lightning fast chromatics might be interesting, if you like the "Flight of the Bumble Bee", but why not just practice "Flight of the Bumble Bee" :dontknow:

3. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    lightning fast chromatics is interesting, and helps with the things Ed mentions as well as keeping the fingers mobile --

4. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    OK, trumpeters, 2 birds with one stone. Warm up with Julius Fucik's Entry Of The Gladiators aka Grand Marche Chromatique Yes, both chromatic scales and fast fingering. Never heard of it? It's the song played when the clowns enter the ring at the Greatest Show On Earth, The Ringling Brothers and Barnum & Bailey Circus. For reason I've prior mentioned, it's been in my repertoire since ever high school. Perhaps I made the mistake of playing it for my 3rd year college instructor who was going for his master's in instrumental music ... and he couldn't play it. As I've prior said I've played the ...Bee in less than a minute, but please don't ask me to play it again like so as I'm presently having still more troubles with any of my practice and playing.

5. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I play that at music "rehearsal" when things get out of hand. They get it (some get mad) and things calm back down.

6. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Quite appropriate when there is "clowning around", but also impressive and not very lengthy. Still, my Acme "Thunderer" police whistle effectively serves the same purpose when they ignore my baton. Stop means stop however you indicate it.

7. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I have one of those too but I'm not "in charge" and they would say I'm "mean". :D

8. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    Yes I get a lot of excersize when I jump to conclusions, run at the mouth, and squirm out of commitments, whew! I'm exhausted just talking (writing, actually) about it..........

tobylou8 likes this.