Just some solder?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Repair and Modification' started by PiGuy_314, Jun 6, 2015.

1. PiGuy_314

PiGuy_314 Pianissimo User

Oct 12, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    Hello all. It's been a while since I've been on TM and something that happened recently made me think of you guys again.

My friend's horn had a solder joint fail (forgive me if I'm using the wrong term) where the brace connects to the leadpipe. I told him I'd give him a couple bucks for the horn because I know a guy who repaired that same injury on my horn and did so really well and he mentioned he was already getting a new horn, and he said he'd give it to me for free. Win-win, right? I get a horn for whatever I decide to spend on repairs, he gets rid of something he won't use and doesn't need.

Well, the marching band curse took its toll and halfway through rehearsal the kid had somehow managed to tear the other two solder joints apart (leadpipe to valve block and other brace to leadpipe), effectively severing the leadpipe from the horn. The only thing keeping it on it the tuning slide.

My question: all I need to do is get this to my tech and he can just solder the joints and we're good, correct? There's no other damage as far as I can see.

For those of you wondering, he did end up giving me the horn free of charge. ;-)

I am looking forward to some educated replies. I'm just a high school kid myself; I don't know much about metallurgy.

You should be able to download some pictures of the casualty here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bw8cuX6H-tlwbkxPbXNJTTBYZk0/view?usp=sharing
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bw8cuX6H-tlwRVVYdnlCdVBxb3c/view?usp=sharing
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bw8cuX6H-tlwRG16ZGFqRjJOUnM/view?usp=sharing

Thanks all!

~Noah

2. gunshowtickets

gunshowtickets Forte User

Mar 11, 2015
    Tidewater, VA
    Yes, some flux, solder, and judicious application of heat should get that back into playing order.
    Alternatively, you could try another leadpipe on it at this point it time and see if you like it better.

Either way, you have a really inexpensive horn to use in your full-contact marching band .

3. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    The lead pipe to valve casing brace is broken, not unsoldered. This needs either repairing by brazing and removing all traces of previous soft solder (outside the abilities of home hobbyists and many repair technicians), or replacing. The replacement brace will possibly have a different width, so the front and rear Z braces might need to be adjusted so that all three braces sit in place without clamping pressure, and the lead pipe lines up in the same plane as the lower tuning slide receiver.

4. PiGuy_314

Oct 12, 2013
    Pennsylvania

Sweet, thanks so much. Eh, I don't think I'll mess around with this one. Like you said, I just got a horn for dirt cheap and at this point it's a spare-for-a-spare horn. :lol: My collection is building. I'll probably end up giving it away to some elementary school kid who could use it but for now I'll hang on to it and get it back on the battlefield.

Get this: he said he tore the thing apart while trying to get his mouthpiece out of the leadpipe...

~Noah

5. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    You've got to admit, Ivan is good.

6. PiGuy_314

Oct 12, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    Thank you for your expertise! I'll be sure to relay this to my guy and see what he says.

~Noah

7. Dennis78

Dennis78 Fortissimo User

Feb 1, 2015
    Cincinnati
    that is how I thought that might have happened. Good for you to think of an elementary kid who needs a horn, everyone should think like that!

8. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    Sometimes I wish trumpet manufactures would have a tag on the lead pipe, informing new owners about the hazards of stuck mouthpiece removal... included with pictures or the failed attempts.

9. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I find broken horns a just result. I don't think that the manufacturers need to define all the stupid things that people do. We learn by pain.......

10. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    It's a conspiracy! Repairmen make money from the failed attempts at mouthpiece removal. ;-)